Acidity is a condition wherein excessive amounts of acid is secreted by the gastric glands of stomach. These days, complaints about heartburn and gas formation are fairly common. So, knowing about acidity symptoms and cure is essential. Acid produced by your body is actually required for digestion of the food you eat. However, if acid produced by the body is more than what is required, then the excessive gastric juices move from your stomach into the lower part of esophagus. This can seriously affect the function of esophagus.
- Loss of appetite, nausea
- Prolonged heartburn
- Chest pain, inflammation in chest
- Vomiting, bitter taste in mouth
- Gastro-esophageal acid reflux
- Belching, constant pain in the upper abdomen
- Feeling hungry frequently
- Coughing, respiratory problems
- Burning sensation or pain in the stomach, after a meal
- Pain during muscular contractions
- Voice change and formation of ulcer in esophagus
- Gastro duodenal (peptic) ulcer
- Not having meals on time
- Dysfunction of digestive system
- Reflux of gastric acid due to weakness of the valves
- Alcohol abuse
- Excessive smoking
- Eating fried and spicy food on a regular basis
- Being on an empty stomach for a long time or skipping breakfast or lunch
- Excessive exposure to sun and heat
- Eating fatty food in excessive quantity. You should keep a list of foods that cause heartburn, handy.
- Depression or negative emotions
- Hyper secretion of hydrochloric acid
- Irregular and inappropriate food habits
Body Acidity Symptoms
Sometimes your doctor may ask for a blood test to check the pH of your blood. Optimal pH of the blood is 7.2. The body is capable of maintaining that pH with the help of several natural control-mechanisms that include getting rid of excess acid. Lack of oxygen, imbalance of protein, carbohydrates, and acid producing foods, cellular breakdown, and production of metabolic waste may result in excessive production of acid in the body.
- Hot flashes
- Joint pain
- Estrogen imbalance
- Blurred vision
Treatment for Acidity
- If obesity is the problem, you should follow a weight loss diet and try to maintain your weight within the normal range.
- Chewing on a piece of clove will bring immediate relief from acidity.
- Regular intake of fresh mint juice works great for acidity.
- Boil some cumin seeds in water, let it cool and then use it for drinking. It will help you get rid of acidity.
- A glass of cabbage juice everyday, chewing jaggery after meal, cold milk, coconut water, raw garlic, can help cure acidity.
- You should eat carbohydrates like rice, as they can be easily digested and they do not lead to the formation of acid.
- A glass of warm water every day, early in the morning is the simplest remedy for acidity, as water is supposed to neutralize it. Drinking more water everyday can also help prevent it altogether.
- Instead of big meals, eat small meals. Have your dinner at least 3 hours before sleeping. Avoid late nights and skipping of meals. Protein and calcium rich foods, like milk or dairy products should be avoided at night.
- Some important lifestyle changes are expected from the patients who always face the problem of acidity. Avoiding alcohol, smoking, caffeine, fast food, oily or fried food, onion, citrus fruits, spicy food, fatty and sugary food items like chocolates, etc., is beneficial. They can always keep a list of acidic foods handy.
You are expected to take care of your digestive health sincerely if you frequently suffer from acidity. As acidity itself can be a symptom of another health problem, which might require prompt medical attention, you should consult your physician as early as possible.
Disclaimer: This HealthHearty article is for informative purposes only, and it should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.