You have tried dabbing on the moisturizer for the 100th time, and yet those ugly dry spots remain a persistent feature on your pretty face. So what causes those ugly looking white spots on the skin? Well, to start off, there are a range of factors that cause these spots. This can range from medical skin disorders like eczema and dermatitis, to environmental factors such as extremely cold weather conditions.
It is a rare skin disease that is characterized by white dry spots. In fact the term leukoderma itself means white skin. In this case, the face gradually loses color as the tiny white spots move on to become large white patches of skin. This loss of melanin may start small and soon affect the whole body. Although the exact cause of the disease has still not been found, it is believed that factors such as stress, hereditary factors, and sunburns aggravate the skin condition.
Accompanied by white flaky skin spots, this non contagious, chronic disorder is the result of a dysfunction of the immune system. The spots are accompanied by symptoms such as painful, achy joints and thick pitted nails.
The inflammation of the epidermis layer of the skin causes a condition known as eczema. This condition includes persistent dry rashes along with flaky red dry spots, itching, crusting, and bleeding. Although this condition usually affects the hands, elbows and the back of the scalp, and knees, it may be one of the reasons for dry spots on face too.
Also referred to as solar lentigines, sun spots, or age spots on skin are white or brown dry spots, that are caused by too much exposure to the sun. To avoid them, always step out of the house with sunscreen on.
Other causes are seborrheic and contact dermatitis, reactions to chemicals in soaps and cosmetic products, and dehydration caused by the lack of adequate amounts of water in the body.
How You Can Get Rid of These Spots
While addressing the underlying disease itself works effectively in getting rid of the dry spots on the skin, here are some home remedies that you can use to be spot-free.
- One of the best home remedies is a mixture of olive oil and almond oil work. Warm a bit of either of the oils and gently massage a small quantity onto the face.
- An effective treatment is egg yolk. Mix one egg yolk with one teaspoon of orange juice and a few drops of lime water. Apply this mixture on the face and let it stay on for about 15 minutes before you wash it off.
- Mashed bananas are a good skin moisturizer. Mash one ripe banana and apply it over the face. Leave on for a few minutes and then wash your banana face pack with some warm water.
- Honey and clay powder mixed in equal proportions makes for a great dry skin remedy. Apply this thick paste on the face and leave it on for some time before washing it off with warm water.
- Avocado oil and castor oil are effective in treating the dry patches and spots on skin. Mix two tablespoons of avocado oil with castor oil and apply it to the face. Leave on for 15 minutes before washing off with warm water. This home remedy works not only to clear off the dry spots but also improves the skin texture.
Remember that these home remedies can only work if the underlying diseases or other causes are addressed. If the spots are a persistent feature, then it is best to consult a dermatologist for further advice.
Disclaimer: This HealthHearty article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.