Heart attacks are also known as myocardial infarction and are repercussions of non-functional heart muscles which may be the result of sudden blockage of a coronary artery due to a blood clot. There are innumerable coronary arteries which are basically blood vessels that provide blood and oxygen to the heart muscles and keep them functioning.
When there is a blockage in one of these arteries, the supply of oxygen and blood to the heart muscles is also blocked, and the muscles suffer an injury. This injury causes a build up of pressure on the human heart, and thus, chest pain is observed. If the supply of blood flow to the heart muscles is not restored within 20 minutes, an irreversible process of muscle death is triggered. This condition can either be fatal or a permanent injury to the heart muscle. As medically proven, males are more prone to heart attacks, and due to the ever-changing lifestyle of individuals today, men under 40 are equally at risk. Take a look at the symptoms of heart attack seen in people of this age group.
In today's world, men over 20 years of age are at an equal risk of suffering from a heart attack as compared to older men. According to a few statistics, about 10% of total heart attacks are found in young men below the age of 40. However, unlike older men, young adults would fail to recognize the symptoms. For this reason, it is very important to be aware of some common symptoms, irrespective of the causes.
- Severe chest pain or a squeezing sensation in the central area of the chest. This can also feel like a tight ache, feeling of pressure or a sudden heavy feeling in your chest area.
- Pain in the entire upper body is also a very common symptom. Here, your shoulders, back, arms, teeth, jaw, and neck can have uneasy sensations.
- Heartburn or relative feeling in the abdominal region of the body is considered as a very serious symptom.
- A sudden shortness of breath where there is difficulty to breathe can lead to chest discomfort. The patient may suffer from deep breathing.
- Headaches, anxiety, and lightheadedness are common signs and symptoms.
- Sweating with cold skin, nausea, and vomiting can also be experienced during a heart attack. However, these symptoms can be varied in various cases.
A few years ago, heart attack was a disease which was commonly found among men above 50 years of age. This was because a man's biological clock starts to slow down, and thus, all the systems start diminishing. However, this age of heart attack risks later came down to 40, and now there are cases of men in the mid and late twenties suffering from heart attacks.
There are many reasons for this risk exposure, and after discussing the symptoms, we wish to discuss those.
- Coronary artery diseases - One of the main heart attack causes, is due to arteries blocked because of cholesterol, blood clots which are either formed in the coronary arteries or are carried to one of them and inflammation/spasm of the arteries.
- Chest Trauma due to accidents or some kind of internal pressure
- Hypertension or High Blood Pressure
- Hereditary Heart Problems
- Obesity and Overeating
- Lifestyle and Lack of Exercise
With this information, you can surely use it in case you are confronted by these symptoms, or someone near you goes through the same. It is very important to at least be aware of these signs as anyone can fall victim to a fatal heart attack.
Disclaimer: This HealthHearty article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.