If any kind of pain in the body is left untreated, there is a possibility of it spreading to other body parts. Many times, sore/tired feet and ache in knees can lead to hip pain. There are many conditions related to this pain, including arthritis, bursitis, muscle strain, tendonitis, snapping hip syndrome, and hip fracture. So, it is important that you consult your doctor about the pain, so that he may chalk out a proper and detailed treatment plan. The immediate treatment can be rest and application of ice to the affected area, but after a while as your pain starts receding, you can start with some hip exercises. These exercises for hip ache greatly improve the blood circulation in the hip joints and the flexor muscles of the hip, which make the hips more injury and pain resistant.
Exercises to Relieve the Pain
Listed below, are some of the best exercises for hip pain, which are easy to perform and which do not require any kind of special equipment.
- This exercise after some practice can be done when you are lying down too. Lift left leg to the side and maintain your knee and leg straight.
- Now again bring back your leg to the ground.
- Repeat the same procedure for the right leg.
- You can do this exercise with 10 repetitions.
- This is a very good workout and helps greatly to relieve the hip pain.
- Stand straight with your back against the wall, and stand apart with your feet at shoulder length.
- Now, slowly and carefully start bending your knees to slowly slide down the wall till your knees are bent at a 45º angle.
- Keep holding this posture for a few seconds and come back to a normal position.
- Follow 5 repetitions of this exercise.
Hip Flexor Stretching
- It is advisable that you perform this exercise while standing near a chair to maintain balance. You can also do it by holding something steady like a bar.
- Hold your right leg ankle with right hand properly.
- Keep holding the ankle, and slowly lower your thigh to straighten up your hip.
- Stretch as much as possible, but if the stretching is uncomfortable, reduce the amount of stretching.
- Make sure you hold the posture correctly, and don't arch your back.
- Keep holding the posture till the pulling feeling becomes less.
- Repeat with the left leg.
- It is better if you perform these leg swing exercises for hip joint pain near a chair so that you will maintain your balance.
- Stand on your feet, and slowly lift one foot and swing this leg backwards.
- Hold this posture for a few seconds and place your feet again on the ground.
- Repeat the same steps for the second leg.
- You can do 8 - 10 repetitions of this exercise.
Cross Leg Pulls
- This exercise is beneficial for people suffering from bursitis.
- While sitting on a chair, cross the affected leg over the other leg.
- Hold the knees and pull the leg on the opposite side.
- Keep your butt flat and do not roll the pelvis.
- While performing this exercise you will feel some stretching sensation in the outer butts or hip area.
- Repeat the exercise for 10 - 12 minutes.
Activities and Other Tips
- Always try to stand in a posture, where your body weight is equally distributed on your right and left leg.
- Always sit straight with your back arched and legs slightly turned outwards.
- Make it a point to lift and carry any heavy objects close to your body.
- While sleeping, sleep in a posture where you are lying on your back with your legs apart.
- Try to maintain your weight at a steady level, avoid binging and overeating.
It is very important not to ignore the pain, lest it turn into chronic pain which will be difficult to treat. So, follow the above exercises regularly and you will observe a substantial reduction and relief from hip pain.
Disclaimer: This HealthHearty article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.