In some traditions, it is believed that an itchy palm is sign of forthcoming money. One will certainly be happy to tolerate the itchiness if it is related to good fortune, but if it occurs every day and all over your hands and feet, it adds up to nothing but surmounting irritation. Excessive skin irritation becomes intolerable after a while and needs to be treated to avoid any complications. Generally, there are no severe complications related to itchy palms and soles, but if there are any underlying reasons for the itchiness, it can create problems.
Causes of Itchy Palms and Soles
- Allergy is one of the major reasons for itchy soles and feet and is caused because of reactions to soap, detergents, cosmetics, and substances, like rubber and nickel.
- Some people are allergic to garlic or a few other vegetables, while some are allergic to medicines such as penicillin.
- Contact dermatitis is a condition where allergies flare up when one comes in contact with a specific substance, like, many people are allergic to paints, fiber glass, and solvents.
- It is a condition wherein the feet itch severely.
- It is a fungal infection, and as the name suggests, occurs only in the feet.
- But, if the person having low immunity touches the foot again and again, and no hygiene is maintained, the infection can spread to the hands also.
- The obvious reason for itchy hands and soles is dry skin.
- The old and the elderly mostly face this problem.
- Dry skin is mostly a result of lack of moisture.
- If you have naturally dry skin, you may have noticed that the itching increases during winter.
- Vitamins are needed for energy.
- Deficiency of certain vitamins can cause a number of diseases.
- Itchy palms and soles can also be caused because of vitamin deficiency.
- The lack of vitamin B12, B1, and B6 can be the primary causes for this condition.
- Along with itching, burning of the skin is also experienced.
- Psoriasis is a chronic skin disease, which is caused by too fast growth of skin cells caused by the immune system.
- It is a very irritating disease and can be very difficult to deal with.
- This disease causes extreme itching and is also associated with pain.
- Psoriasis can also be a reason for the itchiness of palms and soles.
Liver and Kidney Problems
- Although there are more obvious symptoms for such life-threatening diseases, you'd be surprised to know that itchy palms and soles may also indicate the dysfunction of a liver or kidney.
- Therefore, if you have eliminated all the above causes, the best solution would be to get a thorough health examination.
- The treatment for this condition is highly dependent on the cause. The first step, therefore, to begin with, is to find out what the cause is.
- However, a general approach is to keep the hands and feet clean and well-moisturized all the time.
- If the reason for this condition is a type of allergy, it is advisable to stay away from the allergen.
- If this is not possible, you can take precautions, like covering the hands and feet with gloves and socks.
- Applying certain lotions, like hydrocortisone, can relieve itching.
Do follow all the remedies given to cure yourself of this irritating condition. The next time your palms itch for a long time, rush to the dermatologist to diagnose the causes of the problem.
Disclaimer: This HealthHearty article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.