Knuckle pain can lead to a lot of discomfort and irritation. Since, most of our daily activities depend on our hands and since the knuckle is a part of our hand, disturbance in the daily life will be observed due to this condition. Hence, one should opt for its treatment, as soon as possible, or else this joint pain may tend to become chronic.
At times, knuckle pain will also be accompanied by swelling. Swelling will be observed only if the underlying reason of knuckle pain is severe. If one experiences knuckle pain and swelling together, then it would be better to visit a doctor, as the reason behind this medical condition could be severe.
There are various knuckle pain causes. Here are a few commonly observed reasons for the same. Knuckle pain and arthritis have a close relation and arthritis can also be one of the reasons for knuckle pain. Exercising too much is also one of the reasons which can give rise to the same. Injury to the knuckle may be the reason for pain in them.
Relief from Knuckle Pain
Here are some remedies that provide knuckle pain relief.
- The most popular remedy for knuckle pain relief is pain killers. There are different over-the-counter medicines which provide the much required relief from this condition. Most of the pain killers start showing the effect after 4 to 8 hours of their consumption. These pain killers tend to block the sensation of pain from the nerves. In some cases, these medicines work on a temporary basis. Do not consume pain killers in excess, as they might have an adverse effect on the body.
- Another good option which will provide relief from this condition is exercise. Opting for the right exercise will help to a large extent, however, before one starts with the exercise, it would be better if one gets the knuckle massaged in order to relax the stiff knuckles. The exercises opted for, should be such that they will alleviate the pain and not aggravate it. One can take help from a professional to know which exercises to opt for.
- Massage is also one of the best options available. Get the knuckles massaged from a professional for better results.
- Hot and cold compresses can also be used for pain relief. One can either use one of them or make use of both of them in an alternate manner. These compresses tend to make the area numb. Hence, no pain would be experienced.
- If the pain is minor, then soaking the knuckles in warm water would help. However, make sure that the water has salt in it. Allow the knuckles to be in the water for at least 30 minutes.
Disclaimer: This HealthHearty article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.