Sometimes, either due to some traumatic injury or due to certain health problems, a small hole or gap can form in the walls of either the large intestine, the small intestine or the stomach. What happens due to this is that the food or even the stool might pass on to the abdomen, thus leading to perforated bowel. This can also lead to blood poisoning and swelling of the abdomen, and if this problem is not treated immediately, then it might also prove fatal. In this article, you will come across the perforated bowel causes along with their symptoms and treatments.
- One major cause is the Crohn's disease. People who are suffering from this problem are often at a risk. Crohn's disease leads to the inflammation of the intestines and this can often lead to blockage of the intestines.
- Due to blockage of the intestines, the bowels cannot move freely or regularly, hence what happens is that the body becomes overloaded. Hence, people who are suffering from Crohn's disease need to be very careful and have to go for regular checkup in order to prevent blocking of the intestines.
- Traumatic injuries to the stomach is another cause of this problem. When a person meets with a car accident, sometimes, the seat belt can cause damage to the gastrointestinal system. A puncture wound due to stabbing in the stomach can also cause or lead to this condition.
- Diverticulitis is another cause. A person suffering from this problem develops small pouches in the colon which can get infected. If the infected part is not treated on time, then it can lead to blockage of the colon.
These were some of the main causes, out of which Crohn's disease and diverticulitis are the most important and the most serious of all the causes. Hence, a person who is suffering from these problems needs to be very careful.
Symptoms and Treatments
Coming to the symptoms of this bowel problem, the symptoms are almost similar to some of the other digestive disorders. Hence, whenever a person experiences any of the symptoms given below, immediate diagnosis is required whether the cause is perforated bowel or not. Here are some of the symptoms that you will notice.
- Abdominal pain is one of the common symptoms that the person will experience. The pain could either be dull or severe and it is the dull pain which people sometimes make the mistake of ignoring.
- Along with the pain, the abdomen also starts swelling up. The swelling gives the person a feeling of fullness and it can also be painful. This swelling is not a common symptom though.
- Fever and nausea are some of the other symptoms. The temperature of the person goes up depending on the severity of the infection.
- The patient can either get constipated or suffer from diarrhea. The color of the stool changes and blood can also be found in it.
Thus, these were some of the common symptoms. Let us now see what are the treatments of this problem. Since this condition is a serious condition, the most important treatment is surgery. In this surgery, the patient's stomach will be cleaned and the hole will be repaired.
A proper fiber rich diet will help in preventing this problem. Also if the person is suffering from problems like Crohn's disease or diverticulitis, he needs to go for regular checkups in order to prevent intestinal blockage. With proper care, this medical condition can be prevented.
Disclaimer: This HealthHearty article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.