Pineapple allergy is common among many people. It leads to rashes, itchy skin, and diarrhea. It can be triggered by touching the pineapple or inhalation. If one is allergic to kiwi fruit or papaya, they are at a greater risk of developing pineapple allergy.
Pineapple Allergy Symptoms
The symptoms occur immediately after eating the fruit. Occasionally, it may take up to 5 days for the symptoms to manifest. If you observe the following symptoms in someone, you should immediately call 911 or the doctor.
- Skin rash: The first symptom of a pineapple allergy is skin rash. You will observe a bright red rash immediately after eating the fruit. It maybe itchy and you may also observe hives and swelling that lasts for several days.
- Diarrhea: The natural way to get rid of the toxins for the body is vomiting and diarrhea, and thus both are symptoms. These symptoms usually lead to dehydration in some individuals.
- Constipation: An affected person may suffer from constipation and require medication to gain relief.
- Breathing Trouble: The allergy may cause swelling in a person's face and throat. This swelling causes breathing trouble and requires immediate medical attention.
- Anaphylaxis: A full body allergic reaction maybe observed. This is very dangerous and can cause extreme swelling in the face, throat, and ears. It may even lead to shock and death of the patient.
- Cramps: The lower abdominal cramps are commonly seen in people with pineapple allergy.
Other symptoms include dizziness and low blood pressure. You should be alert when you feed pineapple to your child for the first time. It is common among children, and you need to get your child tested for the same, if he/she is allergic to other fruits and vegetables.
Pineapple Allergy Treatment
The symptoms are treated with antihistamines and tropical corticosteroids. Epinephrine is given in case one experiences breathlessness and dizziness. You can apply calamine lotion on your rash to reduce the itchiness and provide relief.
If you are aware that pineapples lead to allergic reactions in your body, then you should avoid eating pineapples in all forms. You should carefully read all the ingredients in processed and ready-made foods. You should ask for the ingredients when eating out to prevent any accidental outbreak. Pineapple allergies can lead to a lot of discomfort and itchiness. Therefore, consult a doctor regarding your allergy and avoid pineapples completely.
Disclaimer: This HealthHearty article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.