Toe problems are not something uncommon and are experienced by men and women alike. Spasms in the big toe or the remaining toes are likely to occur during activity or rest and at any time. A sudden twitch in the muscles of the foot can give rise to toe muscle spasm. The duration of spasms in the toes can be from a few seconds to several minutes. Toe spasms can occur on a single toe or all the toes on either or both the feet. Though experiencing spasms at night or during the day can be quite annoying, getting to the root cause of this foot problem and treating it accordingly is essential.
Causes of Toe Spasms
There can be a number of reasons why an individual may experience involuntary toe cramps at any point of time during the day or night. Though not always a matter of grave concern, spasms should not be ignored.
- One of the primary cause for toe spasms is wearing ill-fitting footwear, especially shoes. The ones that are tighter around the top, which cause the toes to bend and be in the same position for a longer time can cause the muscles and tendons to weaken and can give rise to tremors or spasms in the toes.
- Wearing high-heeled footwear is also attributed as one of the causes of noticing spasms in the toe. When feet are in the shoes for a longer period of time, blood circulation suffers and blood is pooled to the lower region of the feet, where the toes are present. This can lead to a feeling of numbness in the feet and at times can trigger cramps or spasms of the toes.
- Poor hydration can also cause foot cramps, because the muscles do not receive the rightful amount of fluids for their problem free functioning. Consumption of alcohol and smoking can contribute to dehydration in the body which can cause painful toe cramps to raise its head.
- The incidence of toe cramps may increase due to a lack of essential nutrients in the body. Deficiency of minerals and vitamins in the body can weaken the muscles, tissues and tendons in the feet. Low levels of potassium is one of the main causative factor for cramping sensation in the toe.
- Injury or a traumatic blow, to the feet, caused due to wrong postures or misalignment, can produce cramps, which may also trigger pain and discomfort. Health problems like diabetes, arthritis and other joint issues can decrease the supply of oxygen to the feet, making the person experience toe cramps.
Remedial Measures to Relieve Toe Spasm
It is essential to diagnose and undergo treatment for toe cramps and spasms to get relief from this problem. A delay in treatment can lead the condition to become chronic and also take a longer while to get cured. Some of the remedies suggested here will help you in getting rid of this foot problem and also keep it at bay.
- Wear comfortable footwear that gives your feet breathing space and the toes are also able to move. Certain footwear like high heels or shoes should be kept for occasional use and not everyday.
- Massaging sore feet or exercising them will not only improve blood circulation but also reduce the incidence of spasmodic cramps in the toes. Flexing and bending the feet or moving the ankles in a circular motion are some of the exercises that can be done while sitting to promote circulation of blood.
- Including foods rich in calcium, magnesium, potassium and other nutrients will improve the strength of the muscles and reduce cramping. Drinking ample water and other fluids will keep the body hydrated.
- The health care provider may also prescribe anti-inflammatory drugs and other medications to stop spasms. In case it is caused due to a health problem, then appropriate medication may be administered.
Muscle cramps and spasms in any part of the body, should not be overlooked and be reported to the health care provider to avoid any further problems.