Stomach pain causes a lot of discomfort to many people, as the pain is often stinging pain. In some cases, the pain may also be described as dull pain. It is important to identify the exact location of the stomach where the pain originates. This will help in analyzing, if the stomach pain is serious or not. In most cases, it is observed, that the pain is often related to indigestion and gas troubles. However, if the pain is persistent and refuses to subside, then the condition can be related to the dysfunctioning of other organs.
Symptoms, Causes and Treatment
The common symptoms of this pain include dull pain, a burning sensation in the stomach, or a sharp stabbing pain. Whenever you suffer from upper stomach pain it is important that you do not neglect it. If it is not a serious issue it can be a warning sign from your body to make significant changes to your lifestyle. Let's now consider the various causes of stomach ache.
Pain in Right Upper Stomach
- Symptoms: The pain on the right side spreads to upper back, chest or right shoulder and is accompanied by nausea, vomiting or gas.
Causes: Gallstones or gallbladder diseases may be the cause of the condition.
Treatment: It is recommended, that medical attention is sought for.
- Symptoms: Chronic pain in the upper right quadrant of the stomach along with extreme fatigue, sore throat and fever.
Causes: Viral infection may be the cause of the condition.
Treatment: It is advised to take rest and consult a doctor.
Chronic Stomach Pain
- Symptoms: Chronic pain in the stomach, accompanied by dark urine and the yellowing of the skin and eyes.
Causes: Viral hepatitis is known to cause such a condition.
Treatment: It is a medical emergency and meet your physician without further delay.
- Symptoms: Extreme pain in the upper stomach which gradually spreads to the sides and is accompanied by severe back pain. This kind of pain may start immediately after a meal or may be even after six to twelve hours after heavy alcohol consumption. This pain may be accompanied by nausea, vomiting, fever or yellow skin.
Causes: Problem with the pancreas, especially inflammation of the pancreas.
Treatment: It is important that the condition is treated urgently, as it may be lethal in some rare cases.
Burning Stomach Pain
- Symptoms: Along with pain in the upper abdominal region, pressure may be felt and it is often accompanied by belching, nausea, heartburn, chest pain, etc.
Causes: The person may be suffering from hiatal hernia.
Treatment: Seeking medical help in recommended in such a condition.
- Symptoms: The most common symptom is frequent burning pain in the upper stomach or chest, along with a sour taste in the mouth, trouble swallowing or food reflux in the throat.
Causes: It is an indicator of Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
Treatment: In such times you can keep an antacid in your mouth. The antacid will prevent future attacks. If the pain refuses to die down you will have to see your physician.
Pain in Left Upper Stomach
- Symptoms: Along with pain in the upper left quadrant of the stomach, the person may suffer from depression, vomiting and nausea. These symptoms usually worsen due to stress or after an intestinal infection.
Causes: This condition may be caused due to irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
Treatment: In such cases it is advisable to increase the consumption of a high-fiber diet and liquids.
Dull stomach pain
- Symptoms: If there is dull pain, which often comes and subsides especially on an empty stomach, and goes away after you have eaten well and may be accompanied by symptoms such as, indigestion, heartburn or gas.
Causes: Stomach ulcers or gastritis can give rise to the condition. Gastritis is a condition, which causes inflammation of the stomach lining.
Treatment: In such a condition, it is best not to have a large gap between two meals. If the condition persists for a considerable amount of time, it is best to seek medical attention.
Home Care Tips
Stomach pain is quite common and hence people take it very casually. But as we have discussed previously, this pain can be a symptom of some dangerous condition. Following are some of the home care tips which can help you to get some relief from the pain and avoid it in future.
- Water or any fluid will help in keeping the body hydrated and will help in overcoming lots of conditions. Sip either water or diluted fruit juices.
- Smoking can worsen heartburn and other stomach problems. So quit smoking to avoid complications.
- Have multiple small meals rather than having 2 or 3 large meal. Avoid eating anything 2 hours before sleeping.
- Fatty and spicy food can aggravate stomach problems, hence such food should be avoided. Apart from this caffeinated beverages, chocolates, mints, etc., should also be avoided.
- Avoid the consumption of alcohol.
Disclaimer: This HealthHearty article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.