Blue light glasses are designed to limit exposure to blue light via special lenses. They also offer protection against glares. Since we are all using computers and mobile devices so often these days, the glasses offer an extra level of protection for our eyes.
According to The Vision Council, about six out of 10 people experience symptoms of digital eye strain after two hours of digital device use. With statistics like that, it’s imperative to be proactive in protecting your eyes as much as possible.
What are Blue Light Glasses?
Blue-light glasses, sometimes called blue-screen glasses, protect the retina from this particular type of light. Indications that you may be affected by digital eye strain include blurry vision, headaches and/or dry eyes. Although you can get a prescription for the glasses, it is not required.
How do the Glasses Help?
Blue light glasses decrease eye strain while operating computer or mobile devices. While you may not even notice how tired your eyes feel, the glasses can help you focus and improve productivity.
Interestingly, studies show that blue light actually has a high energy frequency. That’s why experts say you should avoid digital mediums that have blue light about two hours before bedtime. The blue light makes you more alert and decreases proper sleep habits. Of course, you can use these special glasses to reduce your exposure to the danger, but it’s best to just make a habit of limiting usage all together well in advance of bedtime.
In extreme cases, it’s possible for this type of light to cause age-related macular degeneration. This condition can ultimately lead to blindness. Blue-light glasses provide an extra layer of eye protection against this possibility.
Additional Ways to Protect Your Eyes
The American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) isn’t convinced that digital screens are directly responsible for eye damage. However, they do agree that they cause significant eye strain. If you aren’t interested in trying the blue-light glasses, here are other ways to protect your eyes:
- Sit at least an arm’s length away from the computer screen
- Adjust your screen slightly downward so that your gaze follows
- Use a matte screen filter to reduce glare
- Take frequent breaks away from the computer
- Keep your eyes moist with eye drops
- Ensure you have proper lighting in your office space
- If you wear contact lenses, regularly wear your normal eye glasses to give your eyes a break
Additionally, the AAO doesn’t feel that computers cause terminal long-term damage to the eyes. In fact, the organization says any symptoms you feel are likely only temporary. Once you decrease computer usage, your symptoms will dissipate.
Purchasing Blue-Light Glasses
If you feel that blue-light glasses are worth a try, there are plenty of options for purchase. Those include:
- Warby Parker: They offer lenses you can add to any frame for $50.
- Zenni Optical: Zenni offers their signature Blokz lenses. These can be added to any frame for as little as $16.95.
- Amazon: Of course, Amazon has these glasses, too. They have a variety of options with high ratings. For example, you can get a two pack for $11.04.
If you wish to find out where else you can purchase the glasses, a quick internet search will give you plenty of choices.
In summary, blue light glasses offers the chance of an extra layer of eye protection. Our reliance on digital tools increases our exposure to blue light every day. No matter which protective measure you choose, make sure you take proper precautions to protect your eyes.