Eye drops are commonly used to treat eye problems. This article will guide you about the proper technique for administering eye drops.
For eye care and most common eye problems, one can buy eye drops over-the-counter. Common eye problems like dry eyes and itching or burning of eyes can be remedied at home, using over-the-counter drops. However, if you are having an eye condition like pink eye infection or glaucoma, then it is important that you consult a doctor to get the prescription. Also, get a prescription for the drops if you are using it to treat babies or pets.
How to Administer Eye Drops
- First wash your hands with soap and water and towel dry them.
- Remove any crusts around the eye with a soft, lint-free cloth.
- Shake the bottle well before using it.
- Ensure that the tip of the eye dropper is clean and doesn’t have any impurities or dust on it. The eye dropper should be closed with a cap when not in use.
- To instill the drops you or the person should lie down. Follow the important tips given below to administer the drops to children, infant, or pets. If you don’t have any cervical spine injury then you can administer them to yourself while sitting or standing too.
- Pull the lower eyelid down with your index finger. With your other hand bring the eye dropper near your eye.
- Instill one drop in your eye, making sure to avoid touching the eyeball. Close your eye. Wait for a minute and put another drop.
- This way administer the number of prescribed drops.
- If you are using more than one type of eye drop solution, then wait for 10 minutes before you use the second eye drop solution.
- After you are done administering the drops, hold the head back or keep lying down for a few minutes. This will ensure the proper absorption of the eye drop medication.
- You can keep some tissues handy to wipe off any excess solution that comes out of your eyes.
- After you are done instilling eye drops, replace the cap back on the bottle. Store it in a cool, dry, and dark place.
- Again wash your hands clean with soap and water thoroughly and dry them using a towel.
Administration to Babies
To administer the drops to a baby, you should lay down the baby on the bed, lean over the baby, and gently place the baby’s head between your knees. If required, slightly squeeze the baby’s head to avoid the baby from moving too much.
Administration to Children
When administering the drops for children explain to them how you are going to give them the medicine. Ask them to lie still for a minute while putting the drops and later on you can give the child a treat.
Administration to Dogs
Ask somebody to hold your dog’s front legs and chest. If you have a small dog, then wrap the dog in a blanket firmly. If you are instilling the drops for the dog in the right eye, then stand on the left side of the dog’s body. Take the bottle in your hand and rest your hand on top of their head, to stabilize it.
Make sure the proper number of prescribed drops are instilled and allowed to be absorbed by the eyes, to make the medicine effective.
Disclaimer: This HealthHearty article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.