Amoxicillin is an antibiotic which is very effective in curing many bacterial infection. Find out detailed information on amoxicillin uses in this article.
Amoxicillin is a penicillin antibiotic which is commonly used around the world. It is very effective in curing bacterial infections and hence, it is prescribed in most of the infections caused by bacteria. Amoxicillin prevents the formation of outer wall of the bacteria and restricts them from multiplying and dividing which further results in death of the bacteria. But amoxicillin is only effective in case of bacterial infection, it does not show any effect in case of viral or other infections. In this article we are going to discuss amoxicillin uses and its side effects. Let’s have a look.
Common Uses of Amoxicillin
As we know amoxicillin is used to cure bacterial infections, there is a long list of infections in which this antibiotic is helpful. Specifically, it can be used to get rid of bacteria such as Streptococci, E. coli, Staphylococcus, H. pylori, P. mirabilis, H. influenzae, N. gonorrhoeae, S. pneumoniae, etc. The diseases caused due to these bacteria can be cured with the help of amoxicillin.
- Amoxicillin can be very helpful in treating nose and ear infection.
- This antibiotic is very commonly used in treating sinus infection. It can be taken orally, intravenously or can also be used as nasal spray.
- As the air directly enters the lungs through the wind pipe there are lots of chances of getting bacterial infection in the bronchi and lung. This antibiotic is very effective in treating pneumonia and other lung infections.
- Urinary tract infections usually take place due to the attack of E.coli bacteria. Amoxicillin is very effective in preventing the growth of this bacteria and helps in getting rid of the infection.
- Bacteria can also cause skin infection which can be easily treated by amoxicillin.
- Bacterial infections caused after the surgery may be prevented with amoxicillin.
- It is used to kill H. pylori bacteria which is responsible for causing peptic ulcers.
- Lyme disease, gonorrhea, typhoid fever, kidney infections, anthrax disease are some of the other major diseases which can be treated with the help of amoxicillin.
Amoxicillin antibiotics are available in the form of tablets, capsules, chewable tablets, drops for oral suspension and they can be taken in any form. They are suitable for any age group and are one of the most prescribed medication. Before taking any medication, tell your doctor if you have any type of asthma problem, liver disease, kidney disease, etc., so as to avoid complicated situations.
The dosage suggested by the doctor should be followed strictly as any break in the dosage may not help you to recover from the disease completely and the situation may become critical. The bacteria may grow again and appear more resistant to the antibiotic. But taking extra dose to make up for the missed one may be very harmful. Hence, care should be taken while taking this antibiotic. For example, if the dosage for sinus infection is of 10 days then it should not be exceeded till the 11th day, just because you were not able to take medication on any one day. It is very important to follow doctor’s advice and instructions.
Overdose or high doses of this drug can be life-threatening. Hence extra care should be taken in case of amoxicillin dosage. If this medication is taken according to the proper dosage then it can be very helpful. Do not replace it with any other derivatives of penicillin as every derivative has its own ability to fight against diseases. Keep it away from the reach of children. If you are not getting relief from the use of amoxicillin antibiotic then consult the doctor and take the medication according to the doctor’s prescription.