Can people actually suffer from aspartame poisoning? As strange as it may sound, yes, there have been several reports confirming this. If you browse through the Internet, you’ll probably find tons of scientific studies and information suggesting that aspartame consumption is extremely bad for the health. The funny part is that, we are always eating it and it is present in just about everything.
Here is the basic problem with artificial sweeteners: the bottom line is that there hasn’t been a single sweetener that has come out in the market that didn’t come with a warning label 20 years later. And aspartame is the worst of all of these. Places like New Mexico are actually trying to ban the use of this substance. A whole state trying to ban a substance! This should make you think twice, right? Aspartame has been closely linked to migraines, depression, seizures, and a myriad of other disorders. So, it doesn’t seem worth taking the risk.
So what are the dangers of aspartame? Reports have shown that there are more than 92 different health related side effects that are associated with aspartame poisoning. Though it may seem surreal, it is indeed true. So, how can one simple chemical wreak so much havoc? Aspartame basically dissolves into a solution, and is capable of traveling throughout the body and getting deposited within the tissues.
Unlike saccharine, the body can digest aspartame, but does not break it down. The side effects vary from person to person, depending on the individual’s physical weakness and genetic individuality. So, it is very important to put two and two together, and identify what your side effects are that are caused by aspartame.
The components contained within aspartame can lead to a number of side effects and health problems. The side effects are of different types―types that occur gradually, or could be immediate and could even have acute reactions. There is quite a large population that is suffering today, yet, most of these people are left wondering why no herb, supplement, or drug will help relieve their symptoms. Then, on the other hand, you have users who don’t suffer from any immediate reactions. However, even these individuals are highly susceptible to long-term damage, which is caused by methanol, DKP, excitatory amino acids, and phenylalanine.
- In the eyes, it causes blindness, decreased vision in one or both the eyes, bright flashes, blurring, tunnel vision, lines, pain in one or both the eyes, trouble with contact lenses, bulging eyes, and decreased tears.
- In the ears, it causes tinnitus (buzzing or ringing sound), hearing impairment, and severe intolerance to loud noises.
- Neurologically, it causes epileptic seizures, migraines and headaches, dizziness, memory loss and confusion, sleepiness, numbness of the limbs, slurred speech, restless legs or hyperactivity, severe tremors, and atypical facial pain.
- Psychologically, it causes irritability, anxiety, severe depression, aggression, personality changes, insomnia, and all kinds of phobias.
- In the chest, it causes shortness of breath, high blood pressure, and palpitations.
- In the gastrointestinal region it causes diarrhea, nausea, pain when swallowing, and abdominal pain.
- In the skin, it causes allergies, rashes, itching, lip and mouth reactions, asthma, and hives.
- Other serious side effects include: menstrual changes, weight loss, thinning or loss of hair, weight gain, low blood sugar, severe PMS, loss of control of diabetes, burning sensation during urination, fluid retention, excessive thirst, bloating, swelling of legs, and increased vulnerability to infections.
These are some of the additional side effects that can be caused, some serious, some not so: death, irreversible brain damage, peptic ulcers, mental retardation, birth defects, hyperactivity in children, aggressive behavior, suicidal tendencies, severe depression, aspartame addiction, and craving for more sweets.
Aspartame may also mimic, trigger, or cause the following illnesses: Epstein-Barr, Lyme disease, Meniere’s disease, ALS, Multiple Sclerosis, hypothyroidism, Fibromyalgia, non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, Chronic fatigue syndrome, post-polio syndrome, Grave’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease, epilepsy, EMS, Lupus, mercury sensitivity from amalgam fillings, and ADD. These are not sensitivities and allergies, but disease syndromes and diseases.
The poisoning has been commonly misdiagnosed, since its symptoms mock those of many of the other diseases. It changes the ratio of amino acids within the blood; it blocks or lowers the levels of Serotonin, dopamine, tyrosine, adrenaline, and norepinephrine. Thus, it is very typical that these symptoms are not detected in lab tests or in X-rays. So, if you ever go to the doctor and he can’t diagnose your symptoms, then it is probably caused because of your diet.