Causes of lower back pain on the right side can range from stress, injury to disorders of the kidney, and herniated disc. Here is information on the possible reasons and treatment methods for lower backache, especially on the right side.
Many people these days complain of back pain, specially in the lower back. It is found that the ever-changing or the fast-paced lifestyle is responsible for it. The lower back or the lumbar area is the weight-bearing part of the body. Injury or improper posture are the most common causes for backache. But, it can be caused due to reasons not related to the back at all, like kidney diseases.
- Any kind of injury to the back muscles or ligaments or joints.
- Having improper posture while walking, sitting, sleeping.
- Performing stretching exercises in improper manner.
- Lifting heavy objects.
- Obesity or having excess body weight can be detrimental to your back and knees.
- Muscle strain: Imbalance in muscles, straining of the muscles, spraining of ligaments, wear and tear of muscles and joints, are also responsible for causing pain in the back.
- Herniated Disc: Also known as ruptured disc or slipped disc, this condition occurs when the outer cover of the disc ruptures and the inner gel comes out. Sciatica is often caused due to herniated disc.
- Kidney diseases: Kidney stone, infection, or any injury to kidney leads to severe pain in the lower back on the right or left side.
- Spondylolysis: This is a condition caused due to defect or crack in the vertebra (usually the lumbar vertebra), caused often due to degeneration.
- Osteoporosis: This condition develops when bones lose their density and become weak and fragile.
- Pregnancy: Lower back pain can be experienced during pregnancy due to the excess pressure exerted on the back by the increased body weight.
The type of pain (acute or chronic) differs according to the underlying cause. In chronic cases, the pain observed is dull and aching, and lasts for a long time. People suffering from chronic pain have a difficulty in bending or doing manual labor. Sometimes, the pain is so unbearable that the person cannot perform his daily activities. This type of pain is experienced when suffering from osteoporosis, spondylolysis, etc. In acute cases, you may experience sudden shooting or sharp back pain. Kidney diseases, injury, herniated disc, etc., cause severe pain in the back.
If backache is accompanied with other symptoms like fever, weight gain/weight loss, chills, weakness in muscles, etc., then the underlying cause is not limited only to the back. In that case, it is essential to look for immediate medical treatment.
If you suffer from right side back pain that lasts for more than a couple of days, you must immediately consult your doctor. Identifying (diagnosing) the cause of pain is the first step in treating the condition. Various techniques like X-ray, MRI, or a CT Scan can be used to diagnose the underlying cause. Injury to the back can be treated with the help of medication, use of ice/heat packs, surgery, etc., depending on the severity of the injury. Herniated disc, kidney diseases, etc., can also be treated with medication or surgery. Pain in the back during pregnancy is quite common and usually does not require medical treatment. But, you can consult your doctor if you require any medication or painkillers. A combination of medication, lower back exercises as well as physical therapy is usually helpful in providing relief.
There are several home remedies that can be used to alleviate pain caused due to minor causes. As a word of caution, note that these methods are not to be used if the underlying cause is a serious medical condition. In any case, it is wise to consult the doctor before going for any alternative treatment method.
➡ Taking rest is one of the best home remedy that can be followed to ease back pain. If possible, make sure that you lie down in a comfortable position and take rest.
➡ Using heat pads is another effective method of treating pain. You should never use a heat pad in case you have applied an ointment or lotion on the affected area.
➡ Alternately, an ice pack can also be used to relieve pain.
➡ Doing light exercises like stretching can also help in easing pain in some cases. However, make sure that you perform these exercises under the supervision of a physiotherapist.
➡ Over-the-counter painkillers can also be used to treat pain. But, it is essential to consult the doctor before taking any medication, in case you are suffering from any chronic disorder.
➡ If you suffer from obesity-induced back pain, you need to lose weight immediately using proper weight loss methods.
• In most of the cases, back pain is caused due to issues related to the posture. Therefore, having a right posture tops the list of preventive measure that are to be followed to prevent backache. You should sit, drive and sleep in a comfortable position.
• Secondly, you must avoid suddenly bending down from the waist. Bending from the knees is the ideal position, even while lifting weight.
• Thirdly, you must exercise only under the supervision of a certified trainer, and consult your doctor before you begin any rigorous exercise regime.
As a concluding note, we can say that although back pain is one of the most common and growing health conditions in the world today, it can be prevented to a great extent by following a proper lifestyle, and eating and sleeping habits.
Disclaimer: This write-up is meant only for educational purposes. It should not be substituted for doctor’s advice and consultation.