Estrogen blockers such as ‘Aromatase Inhibitors’, ‘Vorozole’, ‘Testolactone’, and ‘Formestane’ have proved extremely helpful in minimizing the side effects of excess estrogen in males. However, it is strictly advised that these medications should be administered under the guidance of a certified health professional.
Estrogen is a hormone that plays a very significant role in the estrous cycle of a female. Although it exists in both sexes, it is found in high quantities in females, especially during ovulation. If the estrogen levels rise in men, it surely leads to some unwanted physical changes as well as health issues, which are not easy to treat. To control all the symptoms and to regulate the levels of estrogen in the body, doctors prescribe blockers. They are chemical compounds which not only control the levels of estrogen in the body but also help in managing symptoms of other health conditions. One of the most important uses of these blockers is in the treatment of cancer. High levels of estrogen can cause liver disease which may trigger the multiplication of cancerous cells in the chest and testes causing tumors. There are different kinds of estrogen blockers available in the market.
Causes of Excess Estrogen
Men are often surprised to know that their bodies too produce a little amount of estrogen to maintain hormonal balance in their system. Estrogen is composed of three different types of hormones:
- Estradiol: In women, it is produced by the ovaries and in men, they are secreted by the adrenal glands and testes.
- Estrone: This form is found in minimal amounts in both males and females. The adrenal gland of the body help generates it and it is stored in the fatty tissue.
- Estriol: This is produced in large amounts in women, especially during pregnancy.
Before we talk about reduction of the levels of estrogen in men, it is essential to know the reasons for the increase in its level. This will help in controlling the various symptoms of high estrogen in men. These symptoms include low sex drive, formation of male breasts, loss of body hair, softer voice, a decrease in muscle mass and prostate enlargement. The causes include:
- As men grow old, their testosterone levels decrease and estrogen levels increase. In case of obese men, this happens at a faster rate.
- Obese people suffer from high levels of estrogen as the fatty cells in their abdominal region produce an enzyme known as aromatase. This enzyme does the job of converting testosterone into estrogen, thus causing hormonal imbalance.
- The usage of narcotics and anabolic steroids can also be instrumental in increasing estrogen levels. Alcohol abuse converts testosterone into estrogen and incapacitates the liver to remove excess estrogen from the body.
- Certain illnesses related to the pituitary and adrenal glands and testes can be held responsible for elevating estrogen levels.
Natural Estrogen Blockers
High estrogen levels are dangerous for the body and it is essential to keep them under control for better hormonal balance. This balance can be done by eating healthy foods. For men who are overweight, the best estrogen blocker would be the Bee Pollen which is still not turned into honey. They can also go in for Epimedium or Horny Goat Weed. Fruits such as Berries, Citrus Fruits, Figs, Grapes, Melons, Pears, Pineapples are excellent estrogen blocking foods. Fresh green vegetables such as Arugula, Bok Choy, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Chard, Collard Greens, Corn, Green Beans, Kale, Onions, Radishes, Rutabagas, and Squashes are effective in controlling estrogen.
The condition in which the male body suffers from high levels of estrogen is called estrogen dominance. This condition can be treated by following a balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle. It is not that estrogen is bad for health. Estrogen was used to treat dangerous medical conditions such as prostate cancer and prostate enlargement. High estrogen leads to the development of feminine characteristics in men and other health problems. Thus, it is advised that estrogen levels should always be under control and their importance shouldn’t be ignored.
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.