Chest congestion takes place when the mucus that is formed as a result of cold and flu, accumulates inside the chest and takes a lot of pain for expulsion. The affected people experience continuous coughing and pain in the chest due to piling of mucus. Furthermore, a weak immune system harbors all these ailments and it becomes a major symptom to diagnose. However, it can be cured by home remedies if the condition is not extreme, or else medications are prescribed by doctors after proper diagnosis, to offer complete relief.
It is difficult to say what is the best otc for chest congestion, since it is prescribed according to the underlying cause. People affected by it as a result of influenza are usually administered antibiotics and cough syrups that have a healing effect on the same. Antihistamines are used for treating asthma, allergy, cold and flu like symptoms causing congestion inside the chest. Thus, treatment for it depends on the severity of the symptoms and the nature of the condition.
Here are some common medications that are used for quick healing.
- Vicks VapoRub is an excellent balm that effectively cures congestion when rubbed on the chest regularly. When it is cleared, one would be able to breathe freely. Advised for kids and adults both, this topical medication does not have any side effects. Another variation is the Vicks Formula 44 Custom Care Chesty Cough Liquid, which is also considered as the best chest congestion medicine.
- Mucinex, an over-the-counter medicine for chest congestion, is available in the form of pills, that helps in curing mucus and taming cough. In extreme complications, Maximum Strength Mucinex is prescribed for combating congestion within 12 hours.
- Tylenol Chest Congestion is available as capsules and syrup. This drug contains Acetaminophen and Guaifenesin that effectively cures this condition and related symptoms like chest pain, headache, nasal congestion, etc. The dosage is determined by the doctors.
- Robitussin Chest Congestion is a suppressant that should be consumed under strict guidance of the doctor. You must read the instructions mentioned in the leaflet that comes along with the product. This expectorant is also composed of Guaifenesin, which is an effective decongestant.
Note: The drugs sold over the counters in the form of syrup and pills should be taken in only after consulting and taking the advise of the concerned doctor. This is because the people affected by other health complications might get side effects if the composition doesn't suit them.
Some Home Remedies
An ayurvedic treatment could also be very helpful. Instead of taking pills directly, you can try these home remedies if the condition is not serious. The people who have faith in natural products might find the solutions given below useful enough. These remedies are associated with preparing herbal solutions with the ingredients that are readily available in households. Such preparations are either taken orally or they are rubbed over the chest like a balm.
Here are some remedies that are believed to be the most effective for this condition.
- Inhaling steam vapors four times a day is a great solution. Boil water in a large container and mix one spoon of peppermint oil, four cloves, and a few drops of eucalyptus oil. Cover your head with a towel and bring it near the container. Inhale the steam as it comes out.
- A solution prepared from one tsp. of cayenne pepper, 1 tsp. honey, and ¼ tsp. ginger paste works wonders on congestion like symptoms. Now, mix these ingredients with 2 tsp. of water and one tsp. of apple cider vinegar. Drink this syrup early in the morning and before going to bed.
- One should drink herbal teas and beverages. These are active agents for curing this discomfort associated with the chest. Green tea, chamomile tea, red clover tea, and fenugreek tea have a soothing effect on the body offering complete relief from intermittent cough.
- One of the most effective chest decongestants is the solution prepared by melting two tsp. of butter, and mixing 1 tsp of black pepper, and a little garlic paste, clove powder, and ginger paste to it. Heat them together and drink it in one shot.
A series of tests are conducted to check if any internal complexities are associated with congestion. Severe viral infection causes coughing, fever, and pain and to combat such ailments one should get the proper treatment as early as possible. However, one need not worry, as the right treatment with the correct dose of medicines is capable of curing it completely.
Disclaimer: This HealthHearty article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.