Help someone with useful health advice.

Black Mold Symptoms in Children

Black Mold Symptoms in Children

Knowing about the black mold symptoms in children can help you to determine whether your kids are at a risk of this syndrome. Read on for more information on signs and symptoms of black mold in children.
Dr. Sumaiya Khan
Black mold is a subset of fungi, typically characterized by flossy powder-like growth that can cause numerous health problems in humans as well as animals. Also known as toxic mold, it is most often seen growing in places such as walls and ceiling where the moisture content is high. At times, you will also come across black mold growth on food items and clothes that you wear. Exposure to mold spores and mycotoxins can make you vulnerable to various harmful effects associated with it. Generally, its health effects range from allergies and skin rashes to much more severe problems, such as mold poisoning and various invasive disorders, which may even result in death at times. Before we move on to see what the toxic mold symptoms in children, let's try to get an overview of its health risks to children.

Black Mold and Children

Children are most vulnerable to the harmful effects of exposure to black mold, as they are least aware of the problems it can cause. There have been quite a few cases of serious health problems caused due to it in children, especially infants, in the United States. In fact, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) was forced to carry out an investigation of black mold outbreak in Cleveland, Ohio after a few cases of infant deaths associated with the same were reported in this region. Even though the symptoms of toxic mold in children and adults are quite similar, children are comparatively more vulnerable. Even though our body has the ability to resist the mycotoxins present in black mold to some extent, in larger amount these can be fatal, especially when it comes to kids.


As we mentioned earlier, the symptoms of black mold poisoning in children are quite similar to those in adults. Even though toxic black mold exposure is most often known to cause allergic reactions, at times it can result in some more serious problems, which may eventually result in death of the person. Mold spores are the most common components of dust in homes, which makes people more vulnerable. Given below is a list of black mold symptoms in kids which will help you determine whether your children are vulnerable.
  • Respiratory problems, such as experiencing difficulty in breathing and wheezing
  • Eye problems, such as itchy and watery eyes, blurred vision, extra sensitivity to light, etc.
  • Dark urine and pain while urinating
  • Coated tongue and poor appetite
  • Sore throat and chronic dry cough
  • Nasal and sinus congestion, accompanied by headache
  • Sensitivity to strong smells
  • Rashes and irritation of the skin
  • Aches and pain in various parts of the body
  • Chronic fatigue and balance problems
  • Recurring cold and chills
  • Profuse sweating and drooling while sleeping
  • Ear infection, accompanied by pain
  • Feeling feverish and dizzy
  • Numbness in the limbs
  • Irritable bowel syndrome, diarrhea, sharp abdominal pain, etc.
  • Choking, difficulty in swallowing, and coughing up mucus
  • Open skin sores and lacerations
  • Hypersensitivity when re-exposed to molds
  • Memory problems, headache, and other such problems associated with the central nervous system
These were some symptoms which can be seen in a child suffering from black mold problems. These symptoms play a crucial role in the diagnosis and treatment of black mold syndrome. Generally, treatment involves the use of antihistamines, corticosteroids, decongestants, etc.

Taking into consideration the dangers mentioned above, it is wise to make sure that your home is free of mold. In order to do this, you can resort to various measures of mold removal and growth prevention. In fact, simple measures, such as using a dehumidifier and making sure that you don't leave any damp corners in your home, can help you keep black mold at bay.

Disclaimer: This HealthHearty article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.