Blood clots may travel through the blood stream causing blockage in the flow of blood. Blood thinners, anticoagulants, catheters, etc. are some of the most common blood clot treatment options available.
Blood clotting is a process which is performed by the platelets in order to save the body from excess blood loss. A blood clot is known as thrombus in medical terms. Though it is a natural healing process it may sometimes be very dangerous. If it takes place inside a vein and travels to different parts of the body, it may cause a heart attack, a stroke, or other problems. Hence, to avoid such conditions you need to undergo blood clot treatment. But before that you need to understand what are the various causes of blood clot.
What Causes Blood Clots?
Blood platelets at the time of injury or any such condition, secrete chemicals and clotting factors which form a mesh which plugs the blood and stops the flow of it. Blood clots can be formed due to many reasons. Following are some of the common causes of blood clots.
- A blood clot in the veins can occur when a person is immobilized due to some reason which slows down the blood pumping capacity of the muscles and blood starts accumulating. This stagnant blood may start forming blood clots which if not treated may result in the complete blockage of the veins in that part. It is also known as venous thrombosis.
- Blood clots in the artery can take place because of some diseases like an atherosclerotic disease or due to plaque deposition which may narrow the artery and result in the formation of blood clots. It may result in strokes, heart attacks, etc. It is also known as arterial thrombi.
- Improper pumping of blood by the heart may result in blood clots in the heart. It may take place in the atrium or the ventricle and may be a result of some injury caused to the heart muscles.
- One of the most common blood clotting causes is the leaking of blood vessels. This can be caused due to injuries, cuts, wounds, sprains, nosebleeds, etc. This type of clotting is beneficial.
- Blood clots may also be caused due to other medical conditions.
Treatment for Blood Clots
Bloods clot can be observed as swelling, redness, pain, loss of sensation, numbness, etc. It can be dangerous sometimes as blood clots can travel through the blood vessels and can block the flow of blood. Hence to avoid getting into fatal conditions one needs to get blood clots treated in time. Following are some of the medical treatments and home remedies to get rid of blood clots.
Blood thinners or anticoagulants are the substances which prevent clotting. They also prevent the clot from traveling through the veins. There are mainly two types of blood thinners which are used. They are heparin and warfarin. Initial treatment is given with the help of heparin. It is given intravenously with the help of injections. After that, the doctor may advice you to use warfarin which works in a similar manner as heparin but is taken in the form of tablets. The dosage and the period of treatment will depend upon the condition of the patient.
This is very commonly used for the treatment of blood clot in lungs. It is a flexible tube which is inserted into the groin or the arms through a vein which then either extracts the clot or delivers a medicine which can help to dissolve the colt.
Filters are used to avoid the clots from blocking the blood stream. They are installed in the large veins and catch the blood clots floating in the blood stream. Through this, you can prevent the blood clots from traveling upwards and blocking the lungs or the heart.
In angioplasty a stent is inserted into the veins in order to keep them open and to maintain the proper flow of blood. Other one is the bypass surgery in which the blocked vein is grafted and is replaced by other vein which is taken from any other part of the body.
- Warm compressor are of great help. Just place a warm compress on the affected place. It will improve the blood flow and will also reduce the blood clot and will restrict the coagulation of blood.
- Compression stockings are quite helpful for the people who observe swelling and pain in the legs.
- Keeping a pillow below the legs at the time of sleeping or by elevating them for sometime will improve the blood flow in the legs and will give you relief from pain and swelling.
- People who are obese face this problem very frequently. Hence lose weight and maintain proper health.
Exercise and proper diet can save you from blood clotting to a great extent. If you are suffering from blood clot problems or if you have a family background of such diseases then keep an eye on your health and go for regular check ups.