A broken nose can occur due to different kinds of traumas that are experienced by an individual. A broken nose could be a result of an accident that you have suffered and that has affected the structure of the nose. It may also be a consequence of you getting punched hard. When you endure a broken nose, it is the bone that precedes the bone bridge that gets fractured and thereby causes the nose to break. There are high probabilities that the nasal septum is also affected. The nasal septum is the part where the cartilage and bone separate the nose into two sections.
A broken nose could be the result of:
- Playing sports such as football, basketball, hockey or any kind of contact sports that one wishes to indulge in. Sports injuries is the most common cause of broken nose or a nose injury.
- If you indulge in personal fights and create a row about things around you, you are bound to have several instances where you would find yourself bruised black and blue!
- If you meet with a Motor vehicle accident, there are possibilities of hurting your nose. In such cases the structure of the nose can be totally distorted and the individual might have to resort to a surgical procedure to get the structure back in shape.
- If you have had a bad fall, either while ascending or descending the staircase or have been pushed hard by a mob, you might get a nose fracture.
Broken nose symptoms are extremely hard to miss and even more difficult to ignore, rather neglect.
- The first symptom that you are bound to experience after you have sustained the injury is that of a lingering pain around the area of the nose. This pain originates from the nasal bridge and seeps deep into the sinus tissues.
- You may experience either a lingering, come-and-go kind of pain which is extremely irritating to endure, however on the other hand you may have pain that makes you miserable with its intensity and sharpness.
- Check if your nose is bleeding. This is the first symptom that indicates that you have a nose fracture. Bloody nose can be a symptom of other ailments as well, however, if you notice your nose bleeding, right after your nose has sustained a trauma, the indication is directed towards a nose fracture. If your nose is bleeding profusely, you could seize the blood flow with the help of tissue or soft cloth and rush for medical help immediately.
- Take a hard look at the way your nose looks. If you find that your nose looks swollen, red and is on its way formulating different shapes and colors, bruising is an immediate broken nose symptom as the blood vessels break and sustain damage
- Developing a raccoon eye, that is having both or just one eye bruised, also signals a broken nose.
- Having difficulty in breathing can be another symptom. If this is the case, medical guidance is a must.
- You may find that your nose has become tender, becoming pale and numb.
You could resort to place some ice pack on your nose for sometime during the day. Do not place the ice pack for a long time on the affected area as this, may result in making the area numb, lacking sensation. Over the counter medication can also be administered provided the doctor's consult is taken into consideration. If the nose is severely injured the doctor may suggest conducting a rhinoplasty.
In another case where the nose has changed contours and nasal septum needs to be corrected, the practitioner may recommend a surgery called the septorhinoplasty. Another non invasive method is called the closed reduction. With closed reduction, a doctor holds open the patient's nose with the required tools. With the use of some other tools the surgeon places the bones and cartilage back into its original position.
I hope this article has changed the ideology of all those who feel enduring a nose blow is not very painful.
Disclaimer: This HealthHearty article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.