While we know that there are several benefits that calcium provides for, there are several side effects of the same as well. In this following article, we will list out some of these side effects for you.
Calcium is a very important nutrient that is required by our body for its daily and effective functioning. Calcium is needed by our systems for development of healthy teeth and bones, as well as to fight against conditions like depression, colon cancer, osteoporosis, obesity, high cholesterol, and cardiovascular diseases. And while calcium is also important for normal functioning of muscles and nerves, it is important to understand that calcium has to be administered in the right amounts. Too much or too little of calcium can lead to certain side effects.
Low Calcium Effects
The condition of low calcium levels is termed as hypocalcemia. This condition is marked by the emergence of several other related conditions which, in turn, can be taken as the side effects of calcium. Some of these conditions are.
- A person who suffers from low calcium levels will often experience high levels of irritation as one of the direct side effects of calcium deficiency.
- The person will have bouts of severe or mild depression and irritability.
- Weakness and fatigue will be experienced on a daily basis.
- Muscle cramps and strains will also make its presence felt often.
- The person will have brittle nails and very fragile bones.
- There will also be cases of eye twitching and other eye infections which will be experienced.
- A woman who has low calcium levels might suffer from severe PMS.
- It might lead to the development of bone diseases in their old age.
- There will be numbness and tingling of his/her toes and fingers.
- A person will suffer from severe constipation.
- Acute nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, accompanied by a very poor appetite, will be another side effect.
- There might be disorientation, confusion, and excessive sleepiness that might be experienced by the person.
- There will instances of increased urination in the person.
- Severe and prolonged heart muscle contraction due to electrolyte disturbance will also present itself as one of the major side effects.
- A person may experience high blood pressure.
- There might also be instances of a deformed spinal column.
- In case of females, she might be prone to a high risk pregnancy and even experience pre-eclampsia during pregnancy.
Excessive Calcium Effects
This condition of excessive calcium levels is called hypercalcemia. These following pointers will tell you what are the effects of too much calcium.
Excessive calcium include these side effects.
- A person will experience excessive drowsiness or sleepiness.
- There will be gas, belching, and flatulence experienced by the person.
- A person will have constipation.
- There will be frequent urination.
- Chances of developing kidney stones will increase.
- A person will have muscle weakness.
- A drop or sudden increase in the heart rate will be noticed.
- There will be muscle weakness.
- There will also be nausea and vomiting.
- The person might develop allergies in the form of hives, itching, swelling of throat, mouth, and lips, or wheezing.
- He/she might experience fever, excessive sweating, and/or abdominal pain.
- There might be plaque in his/her arteries.
Now that you know what some of the calcium side effects are―both, the low and excessive levels―it is important to maintain the right amount of the daily recommended dosage and prevent the onset of any adverse effects.