Unhealthy levels of chromium picolinate in the body is not considered to be safe as it can have some unwanted effects. Hence it is essential to be aware of chromium picolinate dangers so that side effects can be avoided…
Nutritional and other supplements have gained a wide acclaim owing to the fast lifestyle most of us lead. It is believed that taking supplements will suffice the nutritional requirement by the body and also to carry out the different functions. Certain weight loss supplements also include traces of chromium picolinate in their composition. Chromium, in the form of chromium picolinate is a popular inclusion in supplements, since it is readily assimilated in the body. Often touted to be an effective therapy for diabetes and weight loss, chromium picolinate is prescribed to address both these health issues.
The dosage of chromium picolinate is determined by the medical practitioner, based on the requirement of an individual. However, taking the supplement above the recommended level is not advisable as it can lead to chromium picolinate dangers, which can harm the body in different ways.
Dangers of Chromium Picolinate
An excess of any drug or chemical in the body can give rise to negative effects on the body functions. Similarly chromium picolinate, if taken above the recommended levels can play havoc in the organ systems and affect the proper functioning. Here are some of the side effects of chromium picolinate, which have been reported and are a result of an overdose.
- As with any drug, chromium picolinate can cause allergic reactions in the body. For individuals, whose body does not accept this drug, can exhibit symptoms like rashes, which may appear as red boils and cause itching or burning sensation, labored breathing, hives, swelling in the mouth and face etc. Sometimes, the person may also complain of difficulty in swallowing.
- When taken in higher doses, chromium picolinate can induce diarrhea and vomiting. Persistent diarrhea and vomiting can cause the body to become highly dehydrated. At times, traces of blood may also be observed in stools, as a result of inflammation of the inner lining of the stomach and intestines.
- According to a research, it has been observed that indiscriminate use of chromium picolinate may result in free radical damage of the white blood cells, thereby compromising the immune system of the body. Though this is not yet conclusive, there are a few evidences regarding this condition.
- Normally, chromium picolinate is recommended for patients who are suffering from diabetes to control their blood sugar levels. However, overuse of this medicinal supplement can make the glucose levels to dip way below normal, and lead to a condition called hypoglycemia, which needs immediate medical intervention.
- High doses can pose danger to the health of the kidneys, liver and other vital organs in the body. It can damage the organs and make them cease their function completely, which can be disastrous to health.
- Another adverse effect of chromium picolinate is that it can destroy the nerve cells of the brain. Individuals may experience behavioral changes, inability to think clearly and may have problems concentrating. There is also a disruption in motor functions and the person may suffer from bouts of dizziness and seizures.
- There are also other risks associated with the excessive use of this weight loss supplement. Pregnant women and lactating mothers should consult a physician before taking any supplement which may have chromium picolinate, as it may have some serious effect on the child.
- Certain cases of drug interactions are also reported as a result of taking this supplement. Individuals who are on ibuprofen, aspirin or vitamin C should nurse care, since these drugs induce the body to absorb this drug and lead to toxicity, which can lead to some unwanted complications, some of them being life-threatening in nature.
Keeping in mind the chromium picolinate dangers, it is necessary to exercise precautions while taking nutritional supplements which contain this chemical. So before taking any herbal remedy or alternative medicine, it is essential to consult a health care provider, regarding the dose and duration of the course.