In the article written below, you will read about the common triggers of eczema which may start an allergic reaction. Read on and learn more about these causes.
Eczema is defined as the combination of a group of medical conditions which lead to inflammation on the skin that may cause itching, irritation and reddening. There are many types of eczema, the most common being atopic eczema or atopic dermatitis. It is called so, because the word atopic means a collection of diseases which develop allergic reactions on the skin or dermis. Eczema can occur on any part of the body, the most common areas being face, hands and legs, knees, neck, back, etc., leading to the skin becoming scaly, itchy and dry. There are many causes or triggers which are prevalent, due to which there are skin rashes and inflammatory reactions that are observed on large areas of the body. They could be food, chemicals, internal factors, or any other physical triggers.
Most Common Triggers
As mentioned earlier there are various physical, chemical, internal and external triggers which cause eczema in humans. These can cause various types of eczema such as nummular and dyshidrotic, both of which are unique and have their own specifications. Therefore, if you are suffering from any of these types of skin rashes or allergies, we have put together some of the commonly found triggers for them in the paragraphs below. Take a look.
- Foods are the most common triggers as many people and babies are intolerant to various types of eatables and their components. Allergies of foods and their components is not a new concept for us, as our diet is the only way through which these triggers enter our system and cause turmoil.
- Some of them could be; citrus fruits (lemons, oranges, grapes, etc.) which include vitamin C, nuts, milk and poultry, soybeans, wheat, seafood, etc. There are many babies who are allergic to these foods but later develop immunity towards them, or vice versa.
- With these foods to avoid, the results may not always be skin rashes and inflammation on the skin, but there can be other forms of eczema such as dry, scaly peeling skin as well. Thus, before you consume any new foods or feed them to babies, make sure you consult a doctor.
Soaps and Chemicals
- Another major class, known to be dyshidrotic eczema triggers are soaps and detergents, toiletries and other chemical products used for cleaning or beauty treatments. These chemicals may contain certain amounts of oils, surfactants or crystals which are intolerant to our skin and thus lead to eczema.
- The triggers such as; soaps, moisturizers, beauty creams, shower gels, detergents, perfumed skin care products, make up products, etc., are very commonly used. Bathing and washing, maintenance products may also prove harmful for the body.
- Thus, before you purchase any of these, make sure you don’t suffer from allergies from any of their components. Try to use herbal and homemade products in case you have a doubt about the allergies. Simply test yourself for these chemicals or if you have suffered before, don’t take chances and avoid them.
- If you are looking for nummular eczema triggers, you could definitely include temperature changes as one of them. There are circular patches of itchy skin in case of nummular eczema, which is very often triggered by various temperature conditions.
- There could be a number of changes in temperature depending on the climate, such as extreme heat or cold, humidity and dry heat or cold, etc. During eczema causes, there are body changes as well, and during this time, you could either perspire too much or you could get dry itchy skin.
- When you perspire, you could get heat boils due to damp skin and if this is not taken care of, could lead to eczema. Similarly, in case of extreme cold, your skin becomes dry and tears, which leads to your scratching it and creating inflammation.
Other triggers could be different types of fabric, stress, pet hair, dandruff, excess use of jewelry, pesticides, and lab chemicals. Thus, with such a variety put before you, I am sure you have found all the necessary information on these triggers. So, make sure you are safe and away from them, if you have sensitive skin.