Development of fissures and cracks in the upper tongue surface has limited causes, and they are mostly harmless. Cracked tongue remedies are all about taking care of the tongue and preventing unwanted food particles from getting stuck in the grooves.
As we all know, a healthy tongue appears clean and pinkish in color. But, presence of cracks, bumps, sore spots, white coating and other problems are seen under certain conditions. Cracked or fissured tongue is one of such cases that concern many people. It is also known as lingua plicata and scrotal tongue, owing to its appearance. Cracks in the tongue are identified as shallow to deep grooves in the upper surface of the tongue. A relatively harmless case, adopting cracked tongue remedies is effectual in healing the condition promptly without complications.
What Causes Cracked Tongue?
The exact cracked tongue causes are not known yet. For those who have it right from childhood, it is considered to be a hereditary problem. Fissures may develop as a referred sign of hairy tongue, geographic tongue and alike tongue problems. As per health experts, people who are diabetic and those who have been diagnosed with specific genetic diseases (e.g. Down syndrome) are more likely to have cracked tongue than others. Also, stress, teeth grinding habit, food allergy, spicy foods, chewing tobacco, smoking cigarette and similar factors serve as triggers for developing this benign tongue condition.
Home Remedies for a Cracked Tongue
Splits and cracks in the tongue look unsightly, and they increase the chances of white coat deposition over time. But, as long as there is no pain sensation over the area, no specific cracked tongue treatment is required for dealing it. At other times, the affected portion may feel painful, especially after eating hot, acidic and spicy food items. Also, those who have deep clefts (4 – 6 mm deep grooves) may experience discomfort symptoms, if minute food particles get lodged in the cracks. So, to avoid such cases, one should follow proper tongue care tips.
Useful guidelines on how to heal a cracked tongue are presented below.
- Check the affected tongue on a regular basis for any unusual signs. Make a point to include tongue cleaning as a part of brushing routine. For those who have deep clefts, brushing tongue should be done after each meal. Regular tongue cleaning is a good approach to improve tongue health and prevent infections.
- It is advisable to use a brush for rubbing the upper surface of the tongue. This helps in dislodging food particles from the grooves (if any). Even using a tongue cleaner works in getting rid of unwanted particles from fissures. Following this, rinse mouth repeatedly.
- In case of fissured tongue pain that gets worsened after having spicy or acidic foods, try to identify the food items and eliminate them from the diet plan. Also, yeast infection is a risk of cracked tongue. To help heal this, a good cracked tongue cure is using probiotics.
- In some people, fissured tongue is associated with bad breath, which is very embarrassing. It may be because of foods that get stuck inside the cracks, which make a breeding site for anaerobic bacteria. This bacterial growth may lead to formation of a white coating in the tongue surface.
- If such is the case, remove the white coat first and then use oxygenated toothpaste of a reliable brand. This type of toothpaste aids in increasing the oxygen level inside mouth, thereby impairing the growth of anaerobic bacteria.
To conclude with, fissured tongue is not a serious condition, and it seldom causes discomfort symptoms. For asymptomatic cases, practicing cracked tongue remedies is all that one needs to avoid any worsening symptoms, which may stem from this tongue condition. In case, any unusual signs accompany fissured tongue, such as swelling and smooth patch in the tongue, seek medical attention at the earliest possible date. The dentist will examine the symptoms to confirm this benign tongue problem. Possibly, he/she may suggest some diagnostic tests to rule out yeast infection and other dental problems, and also, to decide prompt treatment options.