Eczema can be treated with over-the-counter medication as well as natural remedies. This article will give you detailed information on the same.
Eczema is a skin disease that can affect people of any age group. However, it is commonly found only in case of children or older people. This skin disease is characterized by reddening of the skin, rash, blisters which sometimes may contain pus. There are different types of eczema like the nummular eczema, dyshidrotic eczema, atopic dermatitis, and seborrheic dermatitis. The exact cause of this condition is unknown, however, several factors like stress, exposure to pollution, diet, exposure to petrochemicals, etc., can trigger off this condition. People suffering from eczema experience extreme irritation and itchiness in the affected area.
The aim of treatment is to treat the itchiness caused due to skin rash. The person is advised not to scratch the affected area, however, it is difficult to control the itching. Eczema treatment is divided into two types: using medications and with the help of natural or home remedies.
- Skin care lotions and creams help in moistening the skin. It is essential to keep the skin moist and prevent dryness to reduce itching.
- Corticosteroid creams also help in getting rid of the dryness of the skin. These creams treat the scaling and itching of the skin. Corticosteroid creams are usually meant to treat eczema on legs and hand; and are not to be used on the face or near genitals.
- Antihistamines are other effective drugs used for eczema cure. These also help in the prevention of the irritation caused due to itchiness and reddening of the skin.
It is recommended to consult the doctor before using any steroids and drugs in order to avoid side effects. Secondly, in case severe eczema symptoms like blisters, bleeding, etc., is observed, one should consult the doctor immediately.
- Sandalwood paste is considered an effective remedy as it contains natural healing and cooling agents that help in getting rid of itching.
- Secondly, neem oil is another product used to heal eczema naturally. It can be applied directly to the affected area.
- Other natural oils like the coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil, salmon oil, etc., can also be applied to the affected are in order to get rid of the itching and irritation on the skin.
- Products containing aloe vera are also found to be effective. However, you should consult the doctor before using these products.
- Lastly, it is essential to follow certain preventive measures like having a bath regularly, keeping away from harsh soaps and lotions, avoiding chemical-based cosmetics, etc., to prevent flaring up of the rash.
One should note that following proper treatment and preventive measures can help in getting rid of this condition as early as possible. Therefore, one should be patient and follow the prescribed treatment regularly.
Disclaimer: This article is meant only for informative purposes. Any medication or natural remedy should be followed only on consulting a doctor.