The cost of gastric bypass surgery is one of the most important parameters to consider before going for one. Opting for the surgery is a big financial decision, as it’s quite expensive. In here, a rough estimate is presented.
Obesity is a rampant phenomenon all over the world. It is excess accumulation of fat in the body, causing health problems. The condition is usually characterized by a body mass index (BMI) above 30 kg/m2. The first course of treatment for obesity is dieting and exercise. However, if both of these treatments fail to reduce body fat, a surgical option like gastric bypass is the recommended procedure.
It is just one class from a range of procedures called Bariatric weight loss surgeries. These are surgical treatment options for extreme and incurable obesity. In this surgery, the abdomen is first divided into an upper part and a lower remainder part. Then, through a rearrangement of the small intestine, both parts are connected to it. There are many types of gastric bypass surgeries. This surgery causes a remarkable decrease in functional volume of the stomach pouch, leading to a phenomenal, physical, and psychological change in appetite. To undergo such a surgery, is an important medical as well as financial decision, as it costs a lot.
How Much Does a Gastric Bypass Surgery Cost?
Surgical weight loss procedures like these cost thousands of dollars, depending upon the complexity and other expenses involved. The price range for this surgery, in USA, starts from USD 18,000 to USD 35,000, depending on your location and other specifications.
The total expenses are inclusive of many other subsidiary costs, which are as follows:
- Fees for Anesthesia Administration
- Fees for Hospital Facilities Used
- Surgeon’s Consultation and Operation Fees
- Pre-Operation lab procedure and X-ray fees
- Cost of Postoperative Recuperative Stay and Care (Roughly 90 days)
Here are some of the factors, which are usually not quoted or included in operation cost:
- Post Surgery Consultation
- Exercise and counseling regarding diet control
- Cost of medications, vitamins, and other supplements
- Body contouring or shaping procedures
- Extra procedures like face lifting
- Breast lift or Breast Augmentation
- Location: Depending on where you undergo the surgery, expenses will be modified in proportion to the cost of living. Hospitals located in cities like Boston, Los Angeles, New York, and San Francisco charge very high for gastric bypass surgeries. This may be due to the dense population and high living standards in these cities.
- Health Plan: A lot depends on the kind of health plan you have and whether your hospital is in a network or a standalone one.
- Length of Stay: Obviously, the length of your stay in the hospital will be the main factor in total surgery expenses.
Questions to Ask About the Surgery
Following are the questions one should ask the surgeon before going for this surgery:
- What is the average cost of the surgery?
- What all is inclusive of the cost? Some surgeons quote only the cost of surgery in the total cost while other pre-op and post-op expenses are not included. So, it’s better if you get that clarified.
- How much of the surgery expense will be covered by my insurance?
- Will the insurance cover any complications that arise from the procedure?
- Are there any financing plans offered by the hospital? Surgeons usually help in getting finance for such surgeries, in case insurance doesn’t cover it.
If insurance does not cover the cost, you may have other options to choose from. Private money lenders provide finance for such surgeries. Consider the pros and cons of this surgery, before actually going for it. Look at all the available options before deciding.