The intake of a properly balanced diet reduces the chances of being afflicted by cardiac problems. The following article aims at providing some healthy heart diet recipes that are both delicious and easy to make.
Cardiovascular diseases (a class of diseases that involves the heart and the blood vessels) are the biggest killer in most parts of the world today. Evidence suggests that a low-fat diet is effective in lowering the cholesterol levels and the blood pressure.
Parmesan Chicken Bake
- Chicken breast, boneless, without the skin, and fat removed: 6 fillets
- Bread, whole-wheat: 4 slices
- Buttermilk, low-fat: ½ cup
- Parmesan cheese, grated: 6 tablespoons
- Olive oil: 2 tablespoons
- Parsley, chopped finely: 1½ tablespoons
- Paprika: 1½ teaspoons
- Garlic powder: ¾ teaspoon
- Thyme: ½ teaspoon
- Vegetable oil spray
1. Begin by preheating the oven to 450°F. Then take a rectangular-shaped baking sheet and a slightly smaller rectangular-shaped cake tin. Spray some vegetable oil and place the rack on the baking sheet and it keep aside.
2. Next, rinse the chicken fillets and pat them dry followed by keeping them aside. Now, put the bread pieces into a food processor or blender and process until it turns into fine crumbs.
3. Put these crumbs in a shallow dish. Add thyme, parsley, cheese, paprika, and garlic powder into it and blend well. Then pour the buttermilk into another shallow dish. Then immerse the fillets in the buttermilk first, then in the breadcrumbs, and lastly place them on the baking rack.
4. Then, drizzle some olive oil onto each of the fillets and bake for about 15 minutes. After that, turn over the fillets, bake for 10 more minutes, and serve.
Spicy Beans and Tofu Curry
- Mushrooms, sliced: 6 – 8
- Red chilies, diced: 3
- Green onions, diced: 2
- Tofu, firm: 7 ounces
- Green beans: 4 ounces
- Coconut milk, or skimmed milk: 1½ cups
- Curry paste: 1 tablespoon
- Soy sauce, light: 1 tablespoon
- Sugar: 2 teaspoons
- Salt to taste
- Heat a pot, put coconut milk in it, and cook until it begins to separate.
- Next, add the red chilies, soy sauce, curry paste, salt, sugar and blend them well.
- Next, add the tofu and mushrooms and let it come to a boil.
- Then, put in the green beans and cook until they become soft and tender.
- Lastly, put the green onions and cook for about a minute before you begin to bite into it.
Fish and Vegetable Bake
- Carrot, medium-sized, cut into thin strips: 1
- Dressed rainbow trout, sea trout, or pike: 2 pounds
- Broccoli, broken into small florets: 1 cup
- Yellow summer squash, sliced thinly: ½ cup
- Oregano, dried, and crumbled: ½ teaspoon
- Basil, dried, and crumbled: ½ teaspoon
- Salt: ¼ teaspoon
- Black pepper: ⅛ teaspoon
1. Begin by preheating the oven to 350°F. Then, heat some water in a saucepan and bring it to a boil.
2. Next, cook the squash, carrots, and broccoli in it for about a minute. Follow this by draining the water and keeping it aside.
3. Then, rinse the fish and pat it dry. Next, tear one or two pieces of foil, large enough, to hold the fish. Place the fish in the middle of the foil.
4. Then, take a small bowl and put oregano, basil, pepper, and salt in it. Mix it thoroughly and place half of this mixture inside the fish’s cavity.
5. Then, arrange the vegetables around the fish and pour the remaining herb mixture on the surface.
6. Lastly, wrap the fish and vegetables with the foil, seal it well, and then place it on a baking sheet. Bake for about 40 minutes or so, and your delectable bake is ready to be devoured on.
Suggested Lifestyle Changes
Choose the Right fats
Trans and saturated fats are known to increase the chances of a cardiac arrest. These are generally found in animal-derived processed foods like butter, cheese, milk, and meat. These foods are generally high in cholesterol. Include foods that contain healthy fats, like mono-unsaturated fats (contained in seafood, canola oil, and olive oil) and polyunsaturated fats (contained in corn oil and safflower).
Reduce the Intake of Calories
Consuming too many calories results in weight gain which can lead to heart diseases.
Reduce the Consumption of Sodium
Although sodium is necessary in the diet, we generally have a tendency of consuming it in excess. Reducing the intake of sodium helps in lowering the blood pressure, which in turn can minimize the chances of a cardiac arrest.
Consuming fiber-rich sources of food like whole grains, fruits, and vegetables is extremely beneficial for the blood pumping organ. These foods are also high in minerals and vitamins. By just bringing in certain changes in the lifestyle, we can reduce the incidence of cardiovascular diseases to a very large extent.
Disclaimer: This Buzzle article is for informative purposes only and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.