Hemolytic or hematogenous jaundice is caused due to excess destruction of the erythrocytes or red blood cell. Bile juice is produced by the liver which play a vital role in the digestive system. When the red blood cell disintegrate, they produce bilirubins. These bilirubins are being excreted from the body by the liver. Increase in the bilirubin formation or inefficiency of the liver to maintain the balance can result in hemolytic jaundice. This bilirubin gives the body a pale or yellow color, which can be easily noticed.
Hemolytic jaundice is common among in the newborns. Babies born before 36 or more days before the completion of nine months, are prone to acquire jaundice easily, as at this stage their liver is not completely developed. Till the baby is in the mothers womb, their body's bile is maintained by the mothers body. So, the baby is unable to maintain the balance and gets jaundice one delivered. Let's find out about the causes and symptoms of hemolytic jaundice in the following paragraphs.
Hemolytic Jaundice Causes
Following are some of the causes of hemolyticor hematogenous jaundice.
- Infection: both viral and bacterial
- Trauma to red cells: cardiac hemolysis
- Sickle cell anemia
- G6PD deficiency
- Congenital spherocytosis
- Drug and toxins (acetaminophen, alcohol, estrogen, etc.)
- Enlarged spleen (Hodgkin's disease)
- Antibodies in serum
- Gilbert's syndrome (decreased conjugation of bilirubin, especially with dehydration, fasting, etc.)
- Physiologic jaundice of newborn
Hemolytic Jaundice Symptoms
The hematogenous jaundice symptoms are very much identical with the other two types of jaundice. Following are some of the symptoms.
- Yellow or discoloration of skin and mucous membrane
- White part of the eye turns yellow
- Light colored stools
- Dark yellow or brown colored urine
- Increased bilirubin level
- Nausea and vomiting
- Abdominal pain
- Loss of appetite
- Swelling of the leg and abdomen
These are the major symptoms of hematogenous jaundice. But in babies you can find following symptoms.
- Changes in muscle tone
- High pitched crying
- Poor feeding
As soon as you observe such symptoms you should immediately approach your doctor for medical care. Jaundice is a serious condition and needs strict medical attention. Delayed or careless approach towards this condition can also lead to death. Follow the prescribed tests and exams for the confirmation of this condition.
Hemolytic Jaundice Home Care Tips
- Keep your body hydrated by drinking lots of water.
- Avoid drinking alcohol.
- Strictly follow the diet suggested by your doctor.
- Take the medications suggested by the doctor only. Don't take any herbs or other medication without consulting your doctor.
- If the conditions worsen then consult your doctor immediately.
- In case of newborn babies follow the doctors advice strictly.
Hemolytic Jaundice Precautions
If you follow proper precautionary methods, you can definitely stay away from this life-treatening condition. Following are some of them.
- Avoid the intake of contaminated food and water.
- Maintain Hygiene.
- Avoid taking medicines that can cause hemolysis (medicines which lead to the breakdown of the red blood cells).
- Avoid medicines that can damage the liver.
Hemolytic jaundice is totally curable if treated on time. So, never delay or ignore medical assistance, if you observe any sign. Try to get it treated in the initial stage itself.