Muscle weakness in the abdomen or anywhere else in the body, that leads to protrusion of an internal organ is cited to be the medical reason for hernia. While there are no pinpointed causes of hernia, it results due to poor sleeping, standing, sitting and exercising postures, injuries or it may be due to genetic or hereditary reasons.
The intensity of hernia pain depends on the severity of hernia. While some hernias don't cause any painful feeling, those in the advanced stages, may prove to be very uncomfortable. Before we jump on to the segment of information about methods for hernia pain relief, it will be resourceful to acquaint our readers with five basic types of hernia.
It is believed that men are more prone to hernia than females and going by statistics, out of every 10 hernia cases, 9 occur in men. There are various types of hernia, depending on their location or cause due to which they occur. While anyone can suffer from hernia, medical studies have proved that certain people are at a higher risk of hernia.
Risk Factors that Can Cause Hernia
- Males are more susceptible to hernia than females.
- Older people are at a higher risk of hernia due to weak abdominal muscles.
- People suffering from chronic constipation have to strain their abdominal muscles in the bathroom while discharging the body wastes. This increases hernia risk.
- People who cough a lot can suffer from hernia due to tension in abdominal muscles.
- Trainers or individuals who're involved in a lot of heavy lifting, often in wrong postures or under poor guidance may over work their abdominal muscles.
- People with family history of hernia can also suffer from hernia.
- Pregnancy also increases the risk of hernia as abdominal muscles are stretched during this crucial phase.
- Abdominal injury or surgery also causes hernia.
|Type of Hernia||Description||Symptoms|
|Hiatal Hernia||Before the esophagus passes through the diaphragm, it meets the stomach, at a point called esophagus hiatus. Hiatal hernia occurs at this opening when the stomach is pushed upwards through the diaphragm. Small hiatal hernia are harmless and they are never diagnosed unless the medical expert discovers it while checking some other conditions. However, large hernia can cause several complications.||
|Incisional Hernias||Many times, due to abdominal surgeries, the tissue or surgery area doesn't heal completely. At this place of scar tissue or weakened abdominal wall, internal organs may protrude causing incisional hernia. It mostly develops at the site of incision.||
|Epigastric Hernias||These abdominal wall hernias develop in the area (upper middle abdomen) on or over the stomach just between belly button/navel (umbilicus (navel) and breastbone (sternum). So this hernia exactly occurs in the upper abdomen at the mid-line. It is mostly common in adults. Severe cases of epigastric hernia may lead to strangulated hernia causing dangerous symptoms, as mentioned in the next block.||
|Umbilical Hernias||It mostly affects the infants and occurs just at the navel. It happens due to a part of the intestine protruding through the abdominal muscles.||
|Inguinal hernias||In this type of hernia, usually a soft part of the intestine bulges out through a weakness in the abdominal walls or muscles. It can lead to dangerous complications, if not treated on time. The bulge is obvious when the person stands upright or if he coughs.||
Hernia Pain Relief-Home Remedies
Ideally surgery is the only option for treating hernia. These days due to the advent of laparoscopic surgery, very small incisions are done in the surgery area, thereby minimizing the risks of further injuries. Though, there may be some post surgery complications after hernia, it is generally controlled by effective patient care. Besides surgery, relief from pain in hernia can be achieved by doing any of the following activities.
- Applying ice bags in the pain area can help.
- Heat and pressure in the bulging/swelling area must be strictly avoided.
- Avoid heavy exercises and do light exercises recommended by the doctor.
- Take rest, if the doctor has advised you to do so.
- Avoid foods that cause slow bowel movement or lead to constipation. Don't eat anything that you are not able to digest.
- Gaining a balanced weight by losing the extra kilos can greatly reduce the chances of occurrence of hernia.
- Eat small, frequent and light meals instead of large meals twice a day.
- Don't bend, lie down, climb stairs immediately after eating.
- Avoid intense bodily activities.
- Avoid alcohol during the phase of hernia treatment and if possible, even after that.
- Drink 1/4 cup aloe vera juice every morning and night. It helps in digestion and fosters easy bowel movement thereby lessening pain or discomfort.
- Say no to spicy and oily food.
- Quit smoking.
- Don't over work or experience fatigue during hernia treatment.
The permanent solution for any type of hernia causing discomfort is hernia repair surgery. Individuals who suffer from this complication must immediately address the problem to an expert so that a proper diagnosis can be done. Hernia pain relief, is a combination of preventive and precautionary measures that can help to lessen the pain. For complete relief, a surgery is the apt solution. So if you're experiencing any sort of abdominal pain, it is worth the effort to get yourself diagnosed so that you can get rid of any further chances of debilitating pain.