Your quest to find the perfect solution to stop you from coughing constantly is to identify the underlying cause and act on treating it. This article will guide you with regard to going about it.
A constant cough is experienced by a lot of people all around the world, but most of them discount it as a passing phase and expect it to subside with time. They might even be successful at times, in making the cough go away temporarily by popping pills from the local drugstore, without consulting a physician. However, in a few days (read after the dosage is over), the cough is back and so is the frustration and extreme discomfort that it is characterized by. This HealthHearty article will help you treat your constant cough by following a very systematic and well thought out plan. Just read ahead.
Identify the Cause
As with any other medical condition, the way to find out a solution is to identify what the causative factor is. Once this is done, it becomes much easier to treat the condition. In case of constant coughing, there can be many reasons why you suffer from it. The most common ones are allergies, infections, smoking and lung diseases like pneumonia. Consult your physician and he will help you to identify what the inherent cause of the cough is. Once this is done, you move on to the next phase of your treatment plan to stop coughing constantly.
Eradicate the Cause
So, you’ve visited the physician and he has helped you to deduce the reason behind your constant coughing. Now it is time to get proactive and make sure that the cause itself gets treated so that the cough does not recur. Take the following steps to get some relief from the cough.
- If it’s due to an allergy, make sure that you rid your surroundings of all the possible allergens that are present. Pollen is the most common allergen and so you should take rigorous measures to prevent from coming in contact with it. Stay away from dust and pollution. Don’t dry your clothes outside where pollen could settle on them. Such simple measures, along with anti-allergen medication will help you stay away from the dreaded coughing bout.
- If the cough is caused due to an infection, then your doctor will suggest you with precise medications that you need to take to treat it. You can also include some of these home remedies for chronic cough in your treatment plan against cough.
- Sometimes, a constant cough can be indicative of a serious ailment like pneumonia or asthma (allergy induced). In such cases, the doctor may ask you to get hospitalized for treatment and monitoring.
- If you deduce that your smoking habit has led you to the constant coughing, then there’s only one way to treat it: stop smoking before it leads to severe lung and breathing disorders like cancer.
- You can also take over the counter pills to stop a post nasal drip (runny nose), which is sometimes identified only by a cough.
- Acid reflux has also been known to cause problems in the throat. The acid rises up into the throat and causes irritation, leading to cough. This can also be treated by over the counter medication or by consulting your doctor. To prevent the recurrence of cough due to acid reflux, keep an eye on your diet and your weight.
Your fight against the constant cough does not end by simply fighting the inherent cause. You need to make sure that the symptoms do not manifest themselves again. For this, you need to take preventive measures and ensure that you take good care of your health. A nutritious diet, along with a routine fitness regime, plenty of water for hydration and cleansing, are some of the things that you can do to try to keep the cough at bay.
You need to follow this simple, yet immensely efficient plan to keep the cough at bay. Pay heed to your doctor’s advice, take your medication on time and complete the dosage. This will keep you from falling prey to your feared coughing fits. Take care!