There are several reasons for why jaw cancer can come about and in this following article we shall focus on these very reasons and understand what can contribute to this condition and why it can come about.
Oral cancer is one of the most rampant conditions on the rise and there are several lifestyle habits like smoking and alcohol consumption that are seen to contribute to the same. While oral cancer could include any of the several parts of the mouth, one of the most common instances that oral cancer includes is that of jaw cancer. The jaw holds the teeth in the upper and lower parts of the structure and is an extension of the skull. Any cancer is characterized by the growth of cells that invade the body and cause damage to the surrounding tissues.
Similarly, jaw cancer makes way when there is a formation of painful lumps on the tissues of the jaw that begins to grow and can spread to other parts of the body as well. That is why it becomes important to know the varied jaw cancer causes whereby it becomes clearer the way in which the different treatment methods can be adopted for the same. In this following article we shall focus on the different causes of jaw cancer and then try and look at the varied treatment options available.
Jaw Cancer – Causes
Jaw cancer is one of the leading forms of oral cancer and can lead to unbearable degrees of pain and discomfort. We go through the varied causes of jaw cancer so that we are better able to protect ourselves from this condition. Here are some of the leading reasons for why jaw cancer can come about in a person.
Tobacco and Alcohol Usage
Abusing alcohol and tobacco and turning it into an addiction puts one at a higher risk of developing jaw cancer. Tobacco and alcohol corrode the body with the chemicals and acids present in them and lead to the development of cancerous cells along with leading to varied other medical conditions in the body. This being one of the main jaw cancer causes.
Studies suggest that the Human Papilloma Virus (HPV 16 type) which is a sexually transmitted virus, is one of the other main causes that lead to oral and jaw cancer.
There are varied medical conditions that could lead to the formation of jaw cancer. These conditions could include Leukoplakia (which leads to the formation of whitish patches in the insides of the mouth or the throat) and Erythroplakia (which leads to the formation of red and raised patches inside the mouth).
Diet and Age
It has been seen that as a person ages and is afflicted with diseases and other conditions, his immune system can suffer. This then makes it difficult to fight any form of medical condition that a person might get afflicted with, including cancer. Similarly, the non consumption of a balanced diet which can lead to nutritional deficiencies is another reason for why a person’s immunity may suffer and cause for cancerous cells to enter the body and lead to jaw cancer.
Another jaw cancer cause is an exposure to the harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun, which can also lead to several other health risks. It leads to cellular mutations which can lead to jaw cancer. This however is one of the least possible reasons for why jaw cancer comes about.
Jaw Cancer – Symptoms
Jaw cancer is characterized by the following symptoms. Read through this list of jaw cancer symptoms to understand something more of the same:
- Extreme pain in the jaw
- Difficulty in eating and speaking as well as opening the mouth
- Swelling of the jaw
- A pricking and tingling sensation in the jaw. This is usually experienced when the jaw is not moving.
- There can be an abnormal growth of the jawbone and it can lead to lumps along the jawline.
Jaw Cancer – Treatment
There are several treatment forms that are available and that can be made use of. Let us review some of these formats and understand what these are:
- The usage of chemotherapy drugs is one of the main treatment options that are used for jaw cancer. These are administered intravenously and destroy the cancer cells that have been formed. They also relieve the pain that is caused by the cancer cells.
- Radiation therapy focuses on using high energy rays which help to kill the cells and prevent the formation and spread of these cancer cells.
- The other option that is made use of is that of surgery. This option is best used in the first stages of cancer when the cells are localized and have not spread to any other part of the body. In this the tissues and lymph nodes that have been affected by cancer are surgically removed so that the progress of cancer can be halted.
Cancer of any kind is a horrible ailment to be diagnosed with and when it is jaw cancer, it goes on to affect the life of the person at varied levels. That is why it is required that one understands the causes of the same and prevents this condition from afflicting a person.