When you are in the field as a player, you never think about injuries. But any injury at this moment can spoil your performance and the game as well. Knee injuries like torn meniscus are very common for the players of soccer and football. The best way to get your knees back into action are the knee exercises for torn meniscus. Meniscus is a piece of cartilage which is found between the thigh bone and the shin bone. It behaves like a cushion between the two bones and helps in absorbing shocks.
When the muscles are tight or in a state of rest, they are more prone to tear. Microscopic tears are very common and they heal by themselves. For minor tears you just need to concentrate on the exercises, but in severe cases surgeries may also be required. Tear of meniscus may result in severe knee pain, inflammation and swelling. Keen exercise can help you to cope up with this problem.
Torn Meniscus Recovery Exercises
Knee exercises can help you to recover even from a major injury. The exercises in the initial stage should be slow and pain-free. You should not over-exhaust yourself. Remember that you are exercising to reduce the pain and not to increase it. Start slowly and gradually increase the pace so as to develop the strength to perform more. Following are some of the exercises which are helpful in recovering from torn meniscus.
Following are some stretching exercises for torn meniscus.
- Hamstring Stretch: Lie down on your back, bend your knees up to 45º keeping your foot on the floor. Now raise one leg up so that your leg is straight and parallel to the floor. Now slowly raise it up making it perpendicular to your body and your toe should point towards the ceiling. Wait for 10 seconds and then bring your leg down again to the parallel position. Do this exercise for 10 times with one leg and then repeat it with the other leg.
- Quadriceps Stretch: Stand in front of a wall or a poll. Place your left hand on the wall or hold the poll with the left hand and take support. Now lift your right leg and hold the foot with right hand from behind so that your knees point the floor. Hold it for 10 seconds and then slowly bring it down. Repeat it for 10 times and do it with the right leg as well.
Following are some strengthening exercises for torn meniscus.
- Take a chair, place one stool in front of it and put a towel on the stool. The stool should be slightly lower in level to the chair. Now sit on the chair and place one leg on the stool. Slowly try to raise the foot up to 35º, hold it there for 5 seconds and then place your leg back on the stool. Knees should be locked during the whole exercise. Do it for 10 times and repeat the same procedure with the right leg.
- Lie down and place a rolled towel below your left knee. Now try to lift your leg so that your leg becomes straight. Stay there for 5 seconds and then put it down. Do it for 10 times and repeat it with your right leg too.
- Lie down and bend your right leg at 45º placing the foot on the floor. Keep your left leg straight on the floor. Now raise the left leg from the ground to 35º and then put it down. Knees should be locked during the whole exercise. Do it for 10 times and repeat it with the right leg.
- Stand straight and keep a chair in front of you. Hold the chair, bend your knees and stay there for 5 seconds. Stand straight again and then repeat the same procedure for 10 times. Now remove the chair and do the same exercise without the support for 10 times.
- Place a small stool which can behave as a step or stand in front of the staircases. Now put your right leg on the step or the stool and climb it and then again step down. Do it for 10 times from right leg and then repeat it with your left leg. Now place the stool to your left side and climb it side-wise. Repeat it with the right side and do it for 10 times.
All the exercises should be performed slowly and do not overdo it. Increase the rounds gradually. If you have overdone it and you are feeling inflammation then discontinue the exercise for 2 to 3 days and give rest to the muscles. I hope the above given knee exercises will help you to overcome the pain soon and in a safe manner. If you do not get relief even after doing the exercises for 8-10 days then consult a doctor for proper guidance.