This article gives you an insight not only into the various Lamictal side effects, but also on other aspects of the medicine; such as how does it work, for what is it used, and what precautions one must follow before using it.
Most of us might have heard of bipolar disorder, which is characterized by a person’s mood swings that ranges from being totally on the depressed side to one of feeling highly euphoric. And some of us might also be aware of epilepsy. This is a disorder of the central nervous system that is marked by the occurrence and recurrence of seizures. Now the reason I told you about these two medical conditions is that, they are related to what we are discussing here in this article – Lamictal. In other words, Lamictal is a drug that is prescribed for the treatment of these medical conditions mentioned above.
Other names for this drug include Lamictal XR, and Lamictal CD. This drug may be used alone or in conjunction with other medications, for the treatment of epilepsy or bipolar disorder. As long as this medicine is taken, the symptoms may be controlled, and there is no way with which it can cure the problem. Therefore, it can be said that, Lamictal is meant for symptomatic relief for these two conditions. The following describes the various Lamination side effects, and then it will be followed by some more facts on the same.
Unwanted Effects of Lamictal
It is common for most medications to give rise to a number of unwanted effects, along with the ones that it is required to produce to treat a medical condition such as an epilepsy or bipolar disorder. The following presents a list of side effects that have been commonly observed in people using Lamictal. It also lists out some that are less common in occurrence, and some rare ones.
Commonly Occurring Side Effects
Not all the side effects presented below occur in people. But experts say, that when they do, the affected person requires medical attention to avoid complications. The side effects may include:
- Double vision
- Blurred vision
- Hard to maintain coordination
- Skin rash
Less Common Side Effects
- Abdominal pain
- Increased irritability
- Worsened seizures
- Pain in the chest
- Depression; may be accompanied by anxiety
- Weight loss
Rare Side Effects
- Dry skin
- Allergic reaction such as face, mouth, hands, or feet
- Yellow discoloration of skin and eyes
- Neck pain
- Swelling of lymph nodes
- Reddened eyes
- Memory loss
- Symptoms that mimic those of influenza
- Pain in the chest
- Cramps in muscles
- Sore throat
- Speech problems
- Breathing problems
- Abnormal weakness
- Sores on lips or in the mouth
- Increased sex drive
- Weight gain
How Does it Work?
The working of the drug for managing the symptoms of epilepsy and bipolar disorder, is something that has not been determined by doctors as yet. However, despite this, the safety and effectiveness of the medication have undergone a proper clinical evaluation taken up by experts.
It is necessary that before using any kind of medication, one must determine the benefit of the medication vs the risks of taking it. And the same goes with this medication we are discussing here.
- Patients must inform their doctors if they have any type of allergy to foods, dyes, preservatives, or animals.
- The doctor must also be informed in case the patients have liver problems, disease of the kidneys or of the heart, or blood disorder.
- Although the effects of the medication on expecting and nursing mothers have not been fully understood, it is better to err on the safer side. So they must also discuss with their caregivers about using Lamictal.
- Some common drugs with which this medicine may interact include Carbamazepine, Divalproex, oral contraceptives and Phenytoin.
The side effects that may occur in case of Lamictal overdose, include drowsiness, headache, increased pulse, dizzy spells, unsteadiness, and slurred speech. These side effects are way more serious that what have been mentioned above. Besides these, an overdose may also cause the person to go into a comatose state.