Liposuction is a common option that people resort to when it comes to getting rid of love handles. The following article encompasses important considerations before opting for it, and some facts one needs to be aware of.
Liposuction is a procedure that involves the removal of fats from the body by means of surgical intervention. This procedure is normally used for instant fat reduction. When excess fat deposition takes place around your waistline, it gives rise to love handles. As nice as the term may sound, but love handles are one of the toughest areas to shed weight. They are more commonly seen in men than in women. They tend to ruin the ideal ‘tapered torso’ look that many males crave for, and women tend to lose out on their hourglass-shaped figure due to the extra flab on the hips. This is why liposuction is a popular choice of treatment especially amongst men.
- Firstly before people go in for a liposuction, they need to be clear about what results they are expecting to achieve after the procedure. It is advisable to consult a doctor before starting out.
- They need to first try to lose weight, as this procedure will fail if they do not restrict their diet to non-fatty foods.
- People need to understand that this is not an alternative for losing overall body weight. It is a procedure that is best for people who are fit overall, and just need to lose a few 10 – 15 pounds at the abdominal region.
- One also needs to understand that he/she needs to undergo rigorous exercises before going in for this procedure.
- The procedure to get rid of love handles is similar to the liposuction process that is performed elsewhere in the body.
- This procedure can be done using local or general anesthesia.
- An incision is made in the abdominal region from where a cannula is inserted. This cannula is used to suction out the fats.
- Tumescent liposuction is a more popular option for this procedure as it uses local anesthesia, thereby, eliminating the need of general anesthesia and other sedatives along with minimizing blood loss.
- In a laser-assisted liposuction, a laser is administered through a fiber inserted in a microcannula to melt the flab in the target location.
- In general, fluid drainage can occur for over a period of three days. Swelling and bruising may last for a few weeks or may be months.
- Patients are normally encouraged to perform light tasks, so as to hasten the wound healing process.
- Liposuction for love handles can cost anywhere between USD 3,000 – 7,500.
- Although the photographs after undergoing a liposuction may seem very encouraging, one can’t deny the fact that there are many risks involved with this procedure. Furthermore, the results vary from person to person.
- Thus, it is better to instead try out some love handle exercises. These help to get rid of the abdominal fat by stretching the muscles in that region.
- Surgical intervention should always be the last option on mind because not only are there many risks associated, but there is also a lot of aftercare that needs to be taken into consideration.
Although this procedure has gained immense popularity, one needs to be realistic and understand that it is extremely essential to eat right and exercise regularly to stay fit lifelong. Only when all the other options fail, one can think about opting for a surgery.
Disclaimer: This HealthHearty article is for informative purposes only and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.