Following a proper diet can help in quick treatment of the Meniere’s disease. In this article, you will find the food list and dietary recommendations for Meniere’s disease.
Do you experience episodes of dizziness or lightheadedness? Clinically, it is termed as vertigo. It is a feeling that everything around seems to spin. If you are aware, vertigo occurs in most of the cases due to disorders of the inner ear. Similar is the case with Meniere’s disease.
To describe in the simplest terms, it is the disorder of the inner ear which causes vertigo and also hearing impairment. It is a chronic condition that can occur in people of any age group. There is no treatment for the condition, however, following certain measures and changes in lifestyle can reduce the severity of the condition. Following a diet can also help in bringing the symptoms of the condition under control. Before taking a look at the diet, let us know more on the disease itself.
What is Meniere’s Disease
The exact cause of this condition is not known. This disease occurs when the amount of fluid in the inner ear rises up. However, what exactly causes this fluid level to rise is not known. There are several factors like allergy, abnormal immune response, trauma, etc. The signs and symptoms of Meniere’s disease include tinnitus, frequent episodes of vertigo or dizziness, hearing impairment and a feeling of pressure in the ear which is known as aural fullness. As mentioned above, there is no cure for this disease; but the different methods can help in alleviating the symptoms. Following a strict diet regularly is one of the methods.
Diet for Meniere’s Disease
The aim of the Meniere’s disease diet is to limit the intake of foods that affect the fluid level in the ear. There are certain foods like those containing large amounts of salt and sugar, which affect the fluid level in the ear. Studies have proven that having a salt free diet helps in reducing the severity of the symptoms to a great extent. The following is a list of foods that you need to avoid if suffering from this disease.
Foods to Avoid
- Salt containing foods like chips, crisps, etc.
- Processed foods, preserved foods, canned foods
- Pickles, soy sauce, MSG containing foods
- Preserved meats
- Foods containing high amounts of sugar like desserts, ice cream, chocolates, etc.
- Caffeine containing foods and chocolate
As always, it is essential to consult the doctor before making changes in your daily diet. You should also reduce smoking and drinking in order to get the condition treated fast.
- Your diet should consist of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains and other healthy and fresh foods.
- You should read the labels before buying any food. Avoid foods that are high in salts and sugar. You can also ask the chef to make your food low in salt and sugar, when eating out.
- You should add very little salt while cooking and avoid using salad dressings and sauces as they contain salts which are used as preservatives or in the form of MSG.
- Coffee and other caffeine containing foods trigger off the symptoms of this condition and can even induce migraine. Therefore, it is wise to avoid it completely. You can have herbal tea, green tea, fresh fruit juices, etc.
- You should have adequate amounts of water, i.e., 8-9 glasses every day.
- Lastly, when following the diet for Meniere’s disease, you should remember that it is very essential to have same amount of food and at same time every day.
Along with the diet, the doctor will also prescribe medications to treat symptoms like vertigo and nausea. At the same time, you should also avoid stress and try to prevent the conditions that can trigger off the symptoms. Lastly, remember that the condition can be treated if one follows the diet, medication and lifestyle changes properly. Take care!