announcement

Help someone with useful health advice.

Mild Stroke Symptoms

Mild Stroke Symptoms

Mild strokes are often warnings of a brain attack. The symptoms of mild strokes are usually not visible and tend to go unnoticed in many people, as they do not last for a long time. However, it is important to know about them. This article consists of some information on mild stroke symptoms.
Ujwal Deshmukh
Last Updated: Apr 22, 2018
The human body is designed in such a way, that each and every part of the body requires continuous blood supply in order to function properly. Sufficient and regular blood supply also ensures smooth functioning of the human body system. However, sometimes the blood supply gets reduced, or even stops completely due to blockage in the blood vessels. In such situations, that particular part of the body stops working or becomes paralyzed.
A stroke, or a brain attack is one of the consequences of insufficient blood supply in the brain, and a mild stroke is a sort of a precursor of the actual stroke. It is believed that the chances of a major stroke increase by about 25-30% if a person has experienced a mild stroke earlier. A mild stroke or transient ischemic attack is just a sign of a stroke and usually does not cause any permanent damage, yet it is necessary to know the mild stroke symptoms in order to handle the situation before it gets too late.
Mild Stroke Causes
Before moving on to the symptoms of mild strokes, let us know the cause behind them. The most common cause for a mild stroke is insufficient blood supply to the brain. The main reasons behind insufficient blood supply to the brain are blood disorders such as blood clotting, or accumulation of cholesterol, or in some cases, formation of plaque in the blood, disrupting the blood flow. Also, there is something known as a Hemorrhagic Stroke, which occurs due to breakage and internal bleeding of a blood vessel. About 80% of strokes are caused due to blockage in the blood vessels, and these are known as Ischemic Strokes. Hemorrhagic strokes account for the rest 20% cases.
Information about Mild Stroke Symptoms
Symptoms of mild stroke generally depends upon the part of the brain that has been affected. If the part of the brain which controls some major body functions like speech, movements, eyesight, etc., is affected, then the symptoms can be quite prominent and prove to be hazardous. However, if the part of the brain that controls the less prominent body functions like the sense of smell, taste, etc., is affected, then the symptoms would be less noticeable.
Nevertheless, some of the commonly observed symptoms of a mild stroke are discussed below.
  • A person suffering from a mild stroke, may not be able to speak properly during the episode. The speech would appear to be slurry and unclear.
  • The person might feel weakness in either of legs, hands, face or arms. This happens because part of the brain controlling the weaker side is not receiving enough blood supply. Usually the numbness and weakness appears to be only on one side.
  • Sometimes, double vision or temporary loss of vision is also observed. The probable reason behind this is that the part of the brain that governs the eye functions is falling short of blood supply.
  • Dizziness is another common mild stroke effect.
  • Mild stroke can result in a total black out and leave a person's mind blank. Sometimes, he might not be able to understand what the other person is saying.
  • Another most commonly observed symptom is paralysis in one side of the body. Which is why, experts suggest that if you suspect that someone is having a stroke, you must ask the person to smile. If the smile seems to be lopsided, then it is a sure sign that the person is having a stroke.
Mild Stroke Treatment
If blood clotting has been the cause of insufficient blood supply, then clots can be removed by some clot busting medicines such as the tissue Plasminogen Activators (tPAs). Recovery from mild stroke is possible also through surgeries such as the Carotid Endarterectomy Surgery which removes the fatty acids responsible for formations of blood clots.
Although mild strokes do not damage any part of the body, they need to be treated promptly. This is because mild stroke may further lead the person to a major stroke, which definitely results in permanent damage to the brain and body, and in some cases, even death. So consider mild stroke as a fortunate warning in order to prevent any full-fledged stroke in the future. But remember to see a doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment. Take care of yourself and have a safe tomorrow.