Neck pain can be as a result of sitting at the desk all day, working for hours on a computer, or as a result of some previous neck injury. However, performing certain stretching exercises can help to cure this problem. In order to perform these stretches, one would just need a few minutes from their busy schedule.
Some Exercises to Alleviate the Pain and Stiffness
This exercise helps relax the shoulders and the neck muscles.
- To perform this stretching exercise, shrug the shoulders and bring them above towards the ears as much as possible. Hold them tightly in this position for about 5 seconds.
- Now, holding this position tightly, rotate the shoulders back and then relax. While you rotate your shoulders back, you'll feel the stretch in the chest muscles.
- Perform 10 repetitions of this stretch for best results.
To begin this exercise, sit upright. Here are six different motions for pain relief:
- Left Rotation: Turn the head to the left side and the chin must be parallel to the shoulder. Hold this position for 10-15 seconds and relax.
- Right Rotation: Turn the head to the right side and the chin must be parallel to the shoulder. Hold this position for 10-15 seconds and relax.
- Neck Flexion: This movement ranges from chin to chest. Start by lowering the neck towards the chest, and hold the position for 10-15 seconds before relaxing.
- Neck Extension: Start this stretch by lowering the neck backwards as far as possible. One would have to move the head towards the back and hold for 10-15 seconds, then relax.
- Left Lateral Flexion: Lower the left ear towards the left shoulder, hold for 10-15 seconds and relax.
- Right Lateral Flexion: Lower the right ear towards the right shoulder, hold the position for 10-15 seconds and relax.
This exercise works on the neck and upper back muscles.
- To perform this stretch, move the arms out in front of oneself. Now, rotate the hands over each other until the palms face each other.
- Bend over at the upper back, just like one would dive off the diving board. Remember to bring the chin towards the chest. Hold this position for 5 seconds and relax.
- Perform 10 repetitions of this stretch.
One can perform the aforementioned exercises either in a sitting or a standing position. However, one should remember to be slow while carrying out the movements. Constant headaches and neck pain, which are commonly due to stiff muscles in the neck and shoulders can be cured by performing these stretches. Stiff muscles in the neck and shoulders can result from poor posture, sitting for long periods of time, stress, sleeping in a wrong way, lifting weights in a wrong way, etc. One can also perform some stretching exercises everyday, to relax the muscles. However, if one has a muscle pain history or if there is no improvement in the pain, then one should consult an orthopedic doctor so as to avoid any further complications.
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only. Always consult a physician before starting any physical fitness program in order to reduce the risk of injury.