It is very essential to administer pneumonia treatment in order to get relief from this health disorder. There are different treatment techniques of this lung problem, based on the severity of the infection.
Pneumonia is a respiratory disease where the alveoli (the tiny sac like strictures, whose main function is to absorb oxygen) of the lungs get infected due to the presence of foreign bodies in the lungs. There are three different types of pneumonia – bacterial, fungal and viral pneumonia. Bacteria, fungi, and virus are the main triggers for this respiratory disorder. These germs attack the immune system of the body, making the body more prone to secondary infections. Since the germs enter the body through air, the lungs are the first ones to be affected. So is pneumonia contagious and how does it spread? Pneumonia can spread through contaminated air and if a healthy person comes in contact with an infected individual or with his things.
Signs and Symptoms of Pneumonia
It is necessary to know what are the signs and symptoms of this disease, which, if diagnosed on time, will make the treatment easier. Given below are some of the signs of this communicable disease.
- One of the primary signs and symptoms of pneumonia is cough, due to chest congestion.
- Some individuals may also suffer from high grade fever and chills.
- Headaches, ranging from mild to severe are common during a bout of pneumonia.
- Some other symptoms may include shortness of breath, loss of appetite, chest pain etc.
A diagnosis is always better to understand the severity of this disorder, so that appropriate treatment can be administered. The initial tests may include breathing analysis, which the physician may check for with the help of a stethoscope, a chest x-ray to test for congestion. There are also other tests which help determine the exact causative factor. A Gram stain or sputum culture (to check if it is bacterial or viral pneumonia), arterial blood gases (seeing if the lungs are receiving sufficient oxygen), chest CT scan and CBC (assessing the number of white blood cells) are a few other tests.
Ways for Curing Pneumonia
It is necessary to treat pneumonia in its initial stages of infection, to prevent it from becoming severe, which may also be life-threatening. Some of the individuals suffering from this infectious disease can be given treatment at home. Walking pneumonia is a condition where a person suffers from this disease, but does not have to be hospitalized. But there are a few individuals who show severity of this condition and cannot be administered pneumonia home treatment and hence may require hospitalization.
The treatment may depend upon the severity of the condition and the type of pneumonia. However, here are a few treatment methods for this condition.
- Before treating pneumonia, the doctor may perform several tests to diagnose the exact cause of pneumonia. Once the diagnosis is done, then respective treatment is provided. The doctor may prescribe antibiotics, antiviral, or antifungal medications, depending upon the causative factors.
- If you are suffering from fever, taking aspirin or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs can be helpful as these drugs have a tendency to control the fever and regulate body temperature.
- Drinking water and other fluids will reduce chest congestion by loosening the secretions from the mucous membrane and bringing up the phlegm.
- Expectorants and cough medications can be taken to relieve cough, but only after consulting a doctor. The doctor may prescribe the appropriate medicine, since there are a few cough medications that make it difficult for the phlegm to loosen, thus increasing the congestion.
- Doctors have come up with a vaccine which can be administered to prevent the attack of this infection. Vaccines are usually administered to babies, to build up and strengthen their immunity against various diseases. Keep in touch with your doctor to know the frequency of getting pneumonia vaccine.
- Pneumonia treatment in elderly is also similar to the above treatment methods and ample rest is advised. If the individual is above 65 years of age and has other health problems like asthma, diabetes or any other chronic disease, then hospitalization is a must.
- Avoid eating oily or spicy foodstuffs during pneumonia, as these can aggravate the condition. Even after recovery, it is advisable to go to the doctor for a follow-up.
This was all about pneumonia and its treatment. Timely diagnosis and proper medications can cure this disease in its initial stage and prevent it from becoming severe. Make sure you follow proper hygiene, which will help keep a number of disorders like pneumonia at bay. Take care!