As compared to regular nebulizer machines, portable ones are smaller and can be carried around easily. Here is a brief overview about the portable nebulizer.
Nebulizer machines are devices that are used for administering medicines to those with respiratory conditions, like asthma, COPD and cystic fibrosis. These machines are used for converting liquid medicines into aerosol mist, so that they can be inhaled effectively. These machines are used to cure respiratory conditions, and are very effective for adults and small kids. Nowadays, nebulizers are available in different models, that range from the large jet nebulizers to portable ones.
What is a Nebulizer Machine?
Basically, this device consists of a compressed air source which is connected to a cup. This cup is attached to a mouthpiece or a face mask through tubes. Once you turn on the device, compressed air passes through the liquid medicine inside the cup. The medicine is converted to aerosol mist, which is carried to the mouthpiece or face mask through the tubes. The aerosol mist with the medicine is inhaled by the user. It is said that, medication in the form of aerosol mist is absorbed deeper into the lungs, thereby reducing inflammation.
There are two basic types of nebulizers, called compressor nebulizer and ultrasonic nebulizer. The former is more commonly used. In a compressor nebulizer, compressed air is used for converting liquid medicine into aerosol mist, but ultrasonic ones use high-frequency vibrations for this purpose.
Portable Nebulizer – Features
Earlier, patients had to use large nebulizers, either at hospital or at home. This restrained them from moving freely, as these machines were large enough to carry around. So portable machines were introduced for nebulizer treatments.
- These devices are much smaller as compared to the conventional ones, and are easy to carry around. Some of them are so small, that they can easily fit into handbags.
- While the conventional nebulizers need electricity for working, portable ones come with batteries. A portable nebulizer battery can be either disposable or rechargeable.
- Most of these machines come with an AC wall adapter, DC cigarette lighter adapter and a rechargeable battery. Reusable and disposable versions of portable nebulizers are also available in the market.
- A portable nebulizer can deliver medication to the patient much more effectively than the conventional one. It is said that, portable machines are able to transform liquid medicine to very small mist particles.
- As compared to the larger machines, portable ones create much less noise. These machines produce a very low hissing sound, as they release mist. This feature is more convenient when it comes to nebulizer treatment for infants as well as toddlers.
- It has also been observed that, portable machines are not medicine specific. These machines are fit for almost all types of medicines that are used for nebulizer treatment.
Portable nebulizers are available in different models. Some of the pediatric models come in attractive and colorful shapes. You may choose the one that is best suited for your requirements. However, you must buy a machine, that is prescribed by your doctor. Make sure it is compatible with your nebulizer medication. It is said that, portable nebulizer machine is 100% effective, if you use it properly. So, you have to understand its working mechanism, to operate it properly. The only disadvantage of portable nebulizers is that, these devices can be expensive, as compared to the conventional ones.
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert advice.