Excess consumption of salt, hormonal changes and old age are some of the causes of puffiness under one eye. Though this condition is not that serious, few underlying causes may need immediate medical aid.
You may have noticed puffiness under your eyes a lot of times. Usually it reduces by itself, but it may even take days to subside. Puffiness or bags under one eye is not as common as swelling under both the eyes. This can also be an indication of some other fatal disease. Hence, it is important for you to know about the possible causes behind this condition and get it treated in the initial stage itself.
Usually, causes of puffiness are not serious, but if the puffiness is accompanied with discomfort, pain and blurred vision then the reasons may be quite serious. Following are some of the reasons behind puffiness or swelling under one eye.
- Hormonal imbalance may be a reason behind puffiness. Pregnant women, or women who are about to start with their menstruation periods may experience sudden swelling under eyes.
- Excess intake of salt and foods which are high in sodium may be responsible for puffiness. These food increase the water retention capacity of the body and results in swelling.
- Sleeping posture may also sometimes give you puffy eyes in the morning. You can cure this by keeping few pillows underneath your head to let the flow of liquid be normal.
- Puffy eyes may also be caused due to an allergic reaction. It may be caused due to dust, pollen, mold, animal dander etc.
- Incomplete sleep or lack of sleep can also be a cause for puffy eyes.
- Crying for a long time may put stress on your tear glands, increasing the blood flow which results in the expansion of tissues and will result in swollen eyes.
- Intake of alcohol may also result in puffiness under eyes
- Age can also be a factor, as increasing age may result in loose skin which may result in puffy eyes.
- Some people may have hereditary problems of puffy eyes.
- Some serious causes of puffy eyes can be kidney, liver and thyroid problems.
Following are some of the symptoms of puffiness or bag under one eye.
- Swelling or under eye bags.
- Itchiness or redness in the eye.
- Sometimes, itchiness and redness may be accompanied with severe pain which may be related to serious causes.
- Inability to close eyes, or pain at the time of closing eye.
- Due to the swelling you may also find dark circles.
There are many ways to treat puffiness under one eye. Following are some of the puffy eyes treatment which are helpful in reducing the swelling.
- Treat puffiness with cold therapy. Keep two metallic spoons inside the fridge and take them out after 1 hour and give your eye cold treatment by placing the back side of the spoon on the swollen area. You can also take few ice cubes or chilled water in a cold water bag and take therapy with it.
- Place a cucumber inside the fridge and then cut it into slices and put these slices on the eye.
- Dip a cotton swab into saline water, close your eye and place the cotton swab on top. Keep it for few minutes and then remove it.
- Rise your face and eyes with cool water and pat dry. Do not rub your eyes.
- Exercise helps a lot in improving the blood circulation and which reduces the chances of fluid accumulation at one place.
- Drink as much water as you can, as this maintains a proper level of water in your body and reduces puffy eyes. Avoid the intake of alcohol, or any type of caffeine.
- Wear eyeglasses or sunglasses, so as to reduce the stress caused due to wind or sunlight.
- Take proper sleep of at least 8 hours daily. This will reduce stress, and will help in avoiding eye puffiness.
Try out the above given treatments to cure puffiness. Continue doing any one treatment for 2-3 days. If the swelling does not reduce, or is accompanied with severe pain, redness and itching, then consult a doctor immediately.
Disclaimer: This HealthHearty article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.