The kidneys are vital excretory organs of the urinary system. To maintain the health of these essential organs, a proper diet should be followed. Sometimes, the kidneys tend to be affected due to the presence of health disorders in the body. Diabetes is one such disorder that may affect the kidneys and hamper their functioning. Renal diabetes is a health disorder which is caused when the glucose levels in the kidneys becomes low. This condition occurs when the glomerulus of the kidneys malfunction and the person passes glucose through urine, even though the sugar levels in his body are normal or low. In this case, the person is advised to follow a diet, which helps maintain the blood sugar levels. In the following paragraphs we will discuss the diet to be followed by an individual suffering from renal diabetes, along with some tasty recipes.
Renal Diabetic Diet Guidelines
The diet for renal diabetes includes foods that are rich in amino acids and other nutrients. In case you are suffering from renal diabetes, then you need to follow a specific diet menu, which may help control the blood sugar levels in the body. Given below is a renal diet plan that is prescribed for patients suffering from renal diabetes.
- The meals should contain all the essential nutrients in the right amount. According to doctors, the diet should consist of legumes, fruits and vegetables.
- Soybeans, lean meat, red beans, eggs and other amino acid rich foods must be included in the diet in order to reduce the blood sugar levels. This will effectively prevent diabetes from becoming intense and also help treat this condition.
- Foods having high sugar content must be avoided. The amount of salt in the food should also be limited.
- Have 2 servings of vegetables and 3 servings of fruits everyday. This will ensure that your body is properly supplied with the required nutrients.
- Foods having cholesterol is also a strict no-no for renal diabetics and individuals suffering from kidney diseases. Foods containing high amounts of potassium, proteins and carbohydrates should be avoided.
- Instead of eating large meals, eat smaller meals at regular intervals. This helps in the complete digestion of food and proper assimilation of the nutrients in the body. Drinking plenty of water and fluids will also aid in digestion.
It is essential to keep a check on what to eat while suffering from renal diabetes, as there are certain foods that can aggravate this condition. Mentioned below is a list of foods that is safe for consumption for renal diabetics.
• Snow peas
• Sour cream
• Green beans
• Apple juice
• White bread
• Cream cheese
• Plain popcorn
• Lean red meat
• Alfafa sprouts
• Cream of wheat
• Cottage cheese
• Iceberg lettuce
• Flour tortillas
• Graham crackers
• Mandarin oranges
• Unsalted crackers
• Noodles and pasta
• Unsalted pretzels
• Unsweetened dry cereal
• Cranberry juice cocktail
Renal Diabetic Diet Recipes
Following a typical diet for renal diabetes, with the same, monotonous food can be quite boring. To add a pep to the routine, you can try some new recipes that are designed, keeping in mind the condition of the patient. Here are a few recipes that can be made easily at home and also provide essential nutrition to the body.
Crispy Okra Roast
- Okra (lady's finger), 8 to 10
- Medium-sized onion, chopped lengthwise, 2
- Gram flour, ½ cup
- Lemon juice, 2 tablespoons
- Cilantro and curry leaves, finely chopped, ½ tablespoon
- Rice flour, ¼ cup
- Asafoetida powder, 1 teaspoon
- Cashew, 3 teaspoons
- Red chili powder, ½ teaspoon
- Freshly ground pepper powder, 1 teaspoon
- Cumin seeds, 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
Slit the okras after washing them thoroughly and place them in a bowl. Chop the onions and transfer them to the bowl. Stir in cashews, curry leaves, cilantro, gram flour, asafoetida, cumin seeds, pepper, chili powder, rice flour and salt. With the help of a wooden spatula stir the ingredients together till they mix properly. Now take a large skillet and heat the oil. Pour a teaspoon of hot oil in the bowl and mix well. Now take small portions of this mixture and fry them in the oil till they turn brown. Drizzle lemon juice on the roast okra and serve them hot.
- Medium-sized zucchini, sliced, 5
- Chicken stock, 1½ cups
- Medium-sized red onions, sliced, 2
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, ½ cup
- Extra virgin olive oil, 2 tablespoons
- Pesto sauce, 5 tablespoons
- Freshly ground black pepper, 1 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
Wash the zucchini in water and slice them. Take a non stick pan and heat two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add the sliced red onions and stir till the onions become golden brown and translucent. Now transfer the zucchini and add salt. Stir thoroughly till the ingredients get mixed. Cook the zucchini till it becomes tender. Pour the chicken stock and pesto sauce and allow the mixture to simmer over low flame for about 20 minutes. Once the soup has reduced, turn off the heat and puree the soup. Sprinkle shredded Parmesan cheese and pepper on top and serve hot.
Tangy Steak Salad
- Beef sirloin steak, thinly sliced, 1 pound
- Iceberg lettuce, bite size pieces, 4 cups
- Olive oil, 1 tablespoon
- Green onions, sliced, 4
- Dijon mustard, 2½ tablespoons
- Small-sized red bell pepper, diced, 1
- Fresh parsley, finely chopped, 2 tablespoons
- Medium-sized celery stalks, sliced, 2 (1 cup)
Cook the beef steak in an iron skillet till it becomes brown. Transfer the parsley and mustard to the skillet and stir properly. In a salad bowl, toss the lettuce, green onions, celery and red bell pepper and stir in the beef mixture.
This was all about the diet for patients suffering from renal diabetes, along with some recipes that are suitable for them. Following a proper diet plan, along with the medications prescribed by the doctor, can help keep a check on this health disorder. Take care!