Saline nasal spray comes into use when one goes for what is called nasal irrigation. Know how to prepare this solution at home, and get a few tips on how to use it.
Nasal congestion is one of the most common symptoms of common cold, flu, or sinusitis. The affected individual might also experience a reduced sense of taste/smell and cough that worsens at night. Most of the time, it becomes difficult for the patient to breathe through the nose, and he/she might not be able to sleep properly. Under such circumstances, it would be best to make use of a saline solution. This method works by providing moisture to the nasal passages that remain dry, especially during cold. This reduces the inflammation of mucous membranes, thereby providing relief from the symptoms.
Procedure for Making the Solution
- Ingredients that you need include iodine-less salt, baking soda, distilled water, in proportion of ¼ tsp., ¼ tsp., and 1 cup respectively.
- Put it on a mediujm flame, till it becomes warm.
- Pour the water in a cup, and add the salt and baking soda.
- Stir properly to dissolve the ingredients.
- After the solution cools down, pour it in a clean bottle. Do not shake the bottle, as it may produce bubbles.
How to Use It
- Pour the solution in a neti pot, and lower your head over a sink.
- Tilt your head towards your left, so that you can place the mouth of the neti pot into your right nostril.
- Pour the water, and keep breathing through your mouth. The solution will drain from the left nostril.
- Thereafter, blow your nose very gently, and repeat the procedure with the other nostril.
Saline nasal spray is a cost-effective natural treatment method for dealing with nasal congestion. If you think that this method is a bit difficult, then you can use a nasal pump bottle. Simply press on the pump, to squirt the saline solution in the nostril. Repeat with the other one. Wait for sometime, before you blow your nose. Alternatively, take the solution in one hand, and sniff it gently through one nostril. Let it stay for a minute and half, and gently blow your nose. It is advisable to make a fresh solution every time you go for the irrigation process.