SAMe was discovered by a researcher named Cantoni a few decades back. SAMe works as a primary methyl group donor in several reactions of the body. Go through the following article to know more about the side effects of this compound when taken as a supplement.
SAMe is the acronym of S-adenosyl-L-methionine which is a naturally produced compound in the human body and is involved in various biochemical processes like nerve functioning and cell maintenance. It is produced with the help of methionine which is an amino acid found in protein rich foods. It is also referred to as ademetionine, S-adenosylmethionine or SAMe.
SAMe is present in the cells of the human body. It is produced constantly by the living cells. It is also used as a dietary supplement by many people. Individuals suffering from bipolar disorder or depression, should consume this drug only under the guidance of a medical practitioner as, heavy dosage of this drug might aggravate these conditions to a large extent. Hence, these prescription drugs should be taken only under the guidance of a medical practitioner.
Side Effects of SAMe
- If a person consumes it in heavy dosage, then there are chances of him suffering from gastrointestinal upsets like stomach ache, nausea, diarrhea, and flatulence.
- Another side effect is, insomnia, anxiety, restlessness, hypomania and hyperactive muscle movement. Consumption of SAMe can be a common cause of dizziness.
- People with bipolar disorder can go into depression after consuming it and can also suffer from manic swings.
- Other commonly observed side effects are lowered blood sugar, skin rashes, blood in stool, increased thirst and urination, sweating, fatigue and headache.
- At times, there can be serious side effects like agitation or panic attacks, aggressiveness or hostility and you can also find unusual and drastic changes in their behavior.
- Sometimes, these people also get engaged in some dangerous and unusual activities. They find it difficult to sit still at a place.
- They might have suicidal tendencies.
- Skin allergies like hives, itching, rashes, difficulty in breathing, and swelling of mouth or throat can also be observed if a heavy dosage is consumed.
Claimed Benefits of SAMe
Healthy individuals do not need to take SAMe supplements. But a few people who might have health problems may need it. Studies are still in the initial phases and more research needs to be done in this regards however, researchers have found a few benefits of SAMe which are mentioned below.
Fibromyalgia: SAMe is extremely helpful for people suffering from this disease. People suffering from fibromyalgia who took SAMe supplements claimed that it proved beneficial and they experienced decrease in fatigue, pain sensation and stiffness. Another significant improvement is positive change in the mood.
Liver Cirrhosis: It can be used for treating various liver diseases like cirrhosis. A study claims that people with alcohol related liver diseases benefited from taking SAMe, however there are no further studies done in this regard to conclusively prove the findings.
Depression: It is claimed to be helpful for the emotional well-being and at the same time it also uplifts the mood of a person.
Side effects of SAMe can persists if proper care is not taken at proper time. Hence, if you observe any kind of side effects, it is essential to consult a regular medical practitioner.