Low-carb candy, healthy candy, or sugar-free chocolate, are seen in supermarkets on a large scale nowadays. These are meant for people with high blood sugar levels, who cannot eat regular candy. This article provides some recipes for sugar-free candies for diabetic people.
Diabetes patients have a lot of restrictions on their eating habits, which are imposed by their doctors. Due to disturbance in hormone levels of the body, they are more prone to suffer from high blood sugar. Thus, elevation in blood glucose levels prevents them from eating too many sweet dishes. Consuming sugar in any form aggravates their health condition. Apart from sugar, their consumption of starch and carbohydrates is also limited to a very low amount. However, there are many sugar-free recipes that they can try to curb their sweet cravings. Given below are some candy recipes.
Recipes for Sugar-free Candies
These recipes are prepared from sugar replacement agents or products that have been recommended by a doctor. You can also add honey, or a little brown sugar to them if your blood sugar level is not very high, but do consult your doctor beforehand. If you are adding ingredients like chocolate, creams, and puddings, then make sure that they are absolutely sugar free.
- Evaporated milk, 13 oz
- Artificial sweetener, 1 teaspoon
- Vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon
- Nuts, ¼ cup
- Butter, ¼ cup
- Cocoa, 3 teaspoons
- Unsweetened cereal crumbs, 2½ cups
- Mix the cocoa and milk together. Beat it until the cocoa dissolves completely.
- Now, add the artificial sweetener, butter, and nuts to the milk-cocoa mixture.
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat and boil the mixture. Cook it for 2-3 minutes, till it changes to a hard paste.
- Turn off the heat and add the cereal crumbs to the paste.
- Thicken the mixture by stirring it a bit, and then roll it to make the candies. Bake these for 30 minutes.
- Refrigerate the candies overnight if you want to eat them chilled.
Peanut Butter Candy
- Peanut butter, ¼ cup
- Cocoa, 1 teaspoon
- Wheat germ, 1 teaspoon
- Bread slices, 6-8
- Nuts (chopped), 2 teaspoons
- Peanut oil, 1 teaspoon
- Remove the edges of the bread and let the slices dry overnight. The next day, bake them in the oven for half an hour at 350 °F.
- Crumble the slices and mix them with the peanut butter, wheat germ, and nuts.
- Drop a little peanut oil into the mixture. Form round candies and grill them for 2 minutes. They are ready to be eaten.
- Skimmed milk (evaporated and unsweetened), 3 teaspoons
- Margarine or butter, ⅓ cup
- Artificial sweetener, 1 cup
- Vanilla, 1 teaspoon
- Salt, ⅛ teaspoon
- Sugar-free chocolate coating, 1 lb
- Cocoa powder, ¼ cup
- Cornstarch, 1 teaspoon
- Blend the artificial sweetener and cornstarch in a mixer and grind them to form a powder.
- Mix the butter/margarine, salt, vanilla, and cream together to form a paste.
- Combine the cornstarch mix and cocoa powder, and blend it once again in a food processor.
- Keep the mixture in the refrigerator for an hour. In the meantime, melt the sugar-free chocolate to coat the candies.
- Make balls of the same size from the candy paste and dip them in the chocolate coating.
- Place them on a baking tray and bake for 30 minutes at 350 °F.
Soda Cracker Candy
- Sugar replacement, 1 cup
- Honey, 2 teaspoons
- Nuts (chopped), 1 cup
- Butter, 1 cup
- Soda crackers (salt-free), 1 packet
- Unsweetened chocolate chips, ½ cup
- Spread an aluminum foil out on a cookie sheet and grease it with a little vegetable oil.
- Sprinkle a little flour on top of it and then place the crackers on it.
- Boil the sugar replacement, butter, and honey for two minutes and then pour it over the soda crackers.
- Sprinkle the finely chopped nuts on top of the mixture and bake it at 350 °F for 5 minutes.
- Take the cracker candies out of the oven and sprinkle the chocolate chips on top. The chips will melt due to the heat.
Cinnamon Peanut Candy
- Roasted peanuts, 2 cups
- Cinnamon, 1 teaspoon
- Maple syrup (sugar-free or fresh), ¼ cup
- Egg white, 1
- Salt, ¼ teaspoon
- Artificial sweetener, ½ cup (optional)
- First, preheat the oven to 350 °F.
- Beat the egg white and add the salt, maple syrup, and cinnamon to it. You can also add the artificial sweetener to give it a sweet taste.
- Now, dip the roasted peanuts into the egg white and cinnamon mixture and coat them with it.
- Spread them on a baking sheet that has been greased with vegetable oil and bake them for 25 minutes.
- You can top the peanut candies with cherries for flavor.
These sugar-free candies satisfy your sweet tooth in a healthy way. A little effort from your side keeps your sugar levels at bay and lets you enjoy these sweet treats.