When the babies are very small, say of few months, they are unable to take medicines orally. Suppository for babies are the best option as they are safe and effective.
Suppository is one of the most effective and safe means to give medication to babies, who cannot take it orally. People mostly correlate suppository word with constipation, but suppository can also be used to cure fever and pain. Two types of baby suppositories are available in the market: glycerin and paracetamol.
Glycerin suppository is a laxative and is used to cure constipation. This is a small missile shaped capsules of glycerin. It is given if the baby has not popped for more than 4 to 5 days, abdominal pain, discharge of hard dark-colored stool, etc. Consult the doctor before it becomes worse. If there is a need of a suppository, you can easily get it in the nearby pharmaceutical shop. Glycerin suppository can be given to even few weeks old baby. It is safe and very effective.
Insert the suppository just half-inch inside the babies rectum. It behaves like a hyper-osmotic laxative and irritates the inner lining of the intestine. This causes an excess flow of water in the intestine which makes the stool soft and initiates bowel movement within few minutes. You can also cut the glycerin suppository into small pieces and follow doctors instructions. Inform the doctor if your baby is undergoing any medications or treatment, or if he/she is allergic to some medicines or drugs. Glycerin suppositories for infants not only help your baby’s constipation problem but also saves his delicate anal lining from tearing due to hard poop.
Paracetamol suppository is found with different names in the market. Although these are available without prescription, you should still consult your doctor or pharmacists to get the right dose for your baby. Paracetamol comes under the category of pain killers. It is used to cure pain and fever. It is especially made for the babies who cannot take paracetamol tablets or syrup. It is given to the children up to the age of 1 year. The number of suppository depends on the baby’s age and weight. If the baby is less than 3 month, avoid giving it without consulting a doctor. The instruction is the same for paracetamol suppository also. Inform the doctor if the child is going through any medication or treatment and if he is allergic to paracetamol. This will help your doctor to find out another alternative to cure your child. When you insert paracetamol suppository inside the rectum of your baby it is absorbed by the intestine which further mixes it with the blood and results in a quick relief.
How to Give Suppository to Babies?
Do not worry about your baby getting hurt by the suppository, as they are very small and you can even cut them into half before inserting. As soon as they get inserted, they dissolve within few seconds and start working. To give suppository to your baby follow the instruction given below.
- If the suppository is too soft to insert, then put it inside the fridge for 15 minutes or run cold water over the packet of suppository.
- Now wash your hands nicely with the soap.
- Make you baby lie down on a flat bed.
- Take out the suppository from the packet and cut them into pieces according to the dose suggested by your doctor or pharmacist.
- Wear your gloves and insert approximately half-inch of the suppository gently inside the rectum of the baby.
- Keep your fingers inside for few minutes and then take your finger out.
- Let your baby lie down for few minutes and by that time discard the gloves and wash your hand properly.
- Now be ready for the bowel movement in case of glycerin suppositories and relief in case of paracetamol suppository.
Possible Side Effects of Suppository
The side effects of suppository are found in very rare cases. Let’s find out the possible side effects of suppositories.
- In case of glycerin suppositories side effects, the child may cry after the pop out because of the discomfort, inflammation and burning sensation in the rectum.
- It may result in diarrhea for sometime or may result in dehydration because of the excess flow of water.
- Allergic reaction, skin rashes and itching may also result.
- Redness near the rectum is a common side effect amongst all.
- Fever, ulcer in mouth, liver problems and bleeding are some of the rare side effect.
To avoid such side effects, it is better to consult the doctor before giving any suppositories. As side effects are very rare they may or may not be observed. All the suppository should be stored in a cool and dry place and away from direct sunlight. You can trust on suppository for babies to cure constipation, pain and fever. To get relief from constipation naturally, include lots of water in your baby’s diet and avoid giving him food which can cause constipation like rice and banana till he gets rid of this problem. Your delicate darlings are very small to take care of themselves. So, just follow the instructions and help your baby to recover from such condition.
Disclaimer: This HealthHearty article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.