Testosterone cream side effects can lead to some complications. A few negative effects of the cream on men as well as women have been reported in some cases, which is due to the excessive and prolonged usage. This article provides some information about the side effects of the same.
Low testosterone can cause problems like sexual dysfunction (or impotency), reduced libido, and extreme mood swings. Doctors prescribe hormonal supplements to fight these problems. Low levels of testosterone in the body can be supplemented with the help of injections, patches, and creams. The natural levels of testosterone in the body may experience a dip owing to modifications in the lifestyle, certain illness, and habits like smoking and alcohol. So, in order to increase this hormone in the body, supplements in the form of injections, patches, and creams are administered.
These days testosterone creams are much preferred over patches, since, they are immediately absorbed by the skin and the effect is almost instant. This cream is used to increase the levels of testosterone in the blood, and fight symptoms of low levels of the same in the body. Testosterone gel effectively boosts the level of testosterone and alleviates the problem. The cream or gel can be applied to the upper arms, abdominal area, and also on the shoulders.
This cream is usually availed through prescription, following a checkup by the medical practitioner. However, an overuse can cause side effects, some of which may become severe in the absence of timely medical intervention. Its excessive use can prove to be detrimental to the overall health of an individual. To avoid these, it is always advisable to consult a health care provider, who may prescribe the appropriate dosage, based on the medical needs of the individual.
An overuse of testosterone cream can have some negative effects on the physical, as well as physiological health of both men and women. The side effects of testosterone injections and those of the cream or gel are almost similar. Here are some of the downsides of its excessive use as observed in men and women.
- One of the common symptoms, as observed in both the genders is the appearance of a skin rash on the area of application of the cream. This allergic skin rash, reddish in color, may also cause itching and irritation.
- In some cases, erythema is also noticed in testosterone cream users. This is a severe kind of skin rash, which is caused due to the inflammation of the skin and also dries the skin considerably. Allergic reactions like swelling of the face, labored breathing, hives, and chest pain, etc., may also be reported.
- The side effects in women as noticed can be seen as excessive body hair, a condition also known as hirsutism, eruption of acne, enlargement of the clitoris. Deepening of the voice, extreme mood swings, hot flashes, etc., are also common in the women who use the cream above the recommended amount.
- Breast enlargement, also known as gynecomastia, testicular atrophy, erectile dysfunction, aggression, etc., are observed as some of the side effects in men. It can also cause prostate problems due to changes in the hormonal levels. Elderly people who are affected, may be put at a higher risk of prostatic hyperplasia (enlarged prostate gland), which is benign in nature, and even prostate cancer.
- Its continuous use can lead to water retention in the body. This can lead to an unnecessary increase in the body mass, and in turn it may also increase the blood pressure. This can put an individual at a higher risk of contracting hypertension.
- Excessive usage of testosterone cream therapy can also lead to indigestion, an upset stomach, nausea induced vomiting, etc. Some people may also experience headaches, ranging from moderate to severe, and body pain as well.
- Using it for an extended period may lead to hepatotoxicity. This is a condition of the liver, which causes the oversecretion of the bile. Blood-filled cysts, also referred to as peliosis hepatis, in the liver as well as pancreas can be formed, which can prove to be fatal.
- A few other ill effects include male pattern baldness, oily skin, problems in clotting, arteriosclerosis, congestive heart failure, and stroke (in extreme cases), etc.
- Furthermore, though most testosterone products are FDA approved, an investigation of the risk of heart attack, stroke, and death in men taking the same is being carried on. That is, this issue with regards to its safety is being reevaluated or monitored based on two separate studies that were suggesting these risks.
As it is known that no medication comes without side effects, so does this cream. Indiscriminate use may lead to unwanted consequences, and to avoid them, it is advisable to limit the use of this cream. In case usage is unavoidable, getting in touch with a health care provider will help prevent the unnecessary ill effects.
Disclaimer: This HealthHearty article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.