The problem of toddler yeast infection can be dealt with easily, if proper care is taken. The different aspects related to it are discussed in the following article.
The infection of yeast (a fungus) generally occurs in areas/body parts where favorable conditions (moisture) are available. In toddlers, the mouth and genital areas are common areas. Yeasts are also found in digestive system and externally on the skin. The diaper rash is an ideal place for toddler yeast infection. It is seen that children with this problem in the mouth are also infected in the genital area. This is because the yeast travels in the body through natural progression.
The type of yeast infection/causal organism which affects the toddlers is known as Candida albicans. It is one of the gut floras, which shares the relationship called commensalism with human beings. The fungus is present in almost 80% humans. Rise in their number results into candidiasis. The causes include moisture and intake of prescription antibiotics. If a child is given prescription medicines (antibiotics), there are chances that he/she could get infected by yeast. Antibiotics are meant to kill bacteria and other microbes in the body. These antibiotics however, do not differ/discriminate between beneficial and harmful bacteria. Thus, beneficial bacteria get killed due to their intake. It increases the risk of yeast infection.
The symptoms of this problem in the mouth include the presence of white spots on gums and tongue. A rash could be seen in the genital area as a symptom. However, one shouldn’t confuse rashes with yeast infections. Rashes are just one of the symptoms, their underlying symptoms could be varied. One could differentiate the two by their appearance. The rash which results from yeast infection is red in color and has scalloped edges. However, it is always recommended to take the baby for a check up immediately.
The most important thing to consider is keeping the kid’s body dry. It helps in preventing the overgrowth of yeasts. The following points would shed light on the treatment measures to be used
- Applying an antifungal topical cream helps in proper treatment. The ingredients present in such creams not only kill the bacteria, but also help in soothing the skin.
- The treatments/antifungal creams which could be recommended by pediatricians include Nystatin, Lotrim AF, etc.
- A bath in warm water should be given to the kids. Half cup vinegar should be mixed in water for killing the different types of fungi, bacteria and molds.
- The diaper cream which contains tea tree oil is prescribed by some of the holistic medical practitioners. Yeast infections in the diaper area are cleared with the help of such creams.
- One should consult a doctor if the above treatment measures don’t work. The problem should be dealt with immediately, before it becomes worse.
- Cleaning and drying the body properly is the basic thing that should be kept in mind for the prevention.
- It is advisable to keep the baby uncovered for some time after bath. It prevents development of microbes in the diaper.
- Diaper to be used for the baby should fit snugly. Those diapers which are tight create problems in air circulation.
Kids need extra care in case of any kind of illness or medical problems. This is because children cannot explain their health condition to parents. One should educate himself/herself as much as possible, regarding the health problems of children and child care in general.
Disclaimer: This HealthHearty article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.