Tonsil cancer symptoms could be many, and are prominent enough for the sufferer to suspect that something might be amiss in his body.
Tonsil cancer is a type of oropharyngeal cancer, that affects the organs present in the oropharynx. In the United Sates alone, there are about 8,000 people who suffer from tonsil cancer. It is more common in males, owing to its association with heavy consumption of nicotine and alcoholic beverages.
What Indicates Tonsil Cancer?
The nature of the symptoms depends on the stage of the cancer. Though the symptoms themselves do not differ, their intensity varies with each individual case. The common symptoms have been explained below.
- As the cancer develops in an area of the throat that lies just behind the mouth, some of the most prominent symptoms include persistent soreness in the throat, presence of blood in saliva, loss of taste, difficulty in chewing, jaw pain while speaking, and foul breath.
- Some people may develop a swelling in the neck, or may feel the formation of lumps in the neck region. This may be accompanied with neck pain.
- Sore throat, ulcers that do not heal, and difficulty in swallowing, may also occur.
- Most diseases of the throat are known to affect the ear too. Cancerous growth in the tonsils may lead to hearing difficulty, tinnitus (a sensation of ringing in the ears), severe earache, etc.
- Other abnormal symptoms, which may be indicative of this condition, include unintended weight loss, fatigue, and intolerance towards citrus fruits like oranges, grapefruits, etc.
A lot of factors influence the nature or course of the treatment. These include the location of the cancerous growth, the stage of the condition, and the overall health of the affected person. Keeping all such factors in mind, the expert may recommend one or more of the following options.
- Chemotherapy (use of chemical agents to destroy cancer cells)
- Radiation therapy (use of high-energy particles to destroy the cancer cells)
- Surgery (involves removal of the cancerous tissues, and/or getting rid of a part of the throat or the voice box)
The symptoms, as described above, are too prominent to keep the sufferer unaware that he/she might be suffering from something serious. So, at the slightest hint of any of these symptoms, especially when they tend to persist, or become intense with time, it is imperative to seek professional consultation.
There is no proven way to prevent this disease, as its specific causes are not known. However, according to doctors, people can still reduce the risk by avoiding cigarettes, keeping alcohol consumption to a moderate level, maintaining a healthy diet comprising fresh fruits and vegetables, and being cautious with respect to hazardous chemicals and carcinogens.
Cancer is one of the diseases where an early diagnosis and prompt treatment is extremely essential to avoid irreversible tissue damage. Hence, pay attention to symptoms such as those mentioned above, and take measures when you still have the time.
Disclaimer: This HealthHearty article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice.