‘Tonsillitis’ is an infection of the tonsils in the throat. Swallowing and eating food becomes difficult in this condition. It is easy to get rid of the discomfort by taking medications or also by following some home remedies. The following article highlights some effective tonsillitis remedies.
Tonsils are two masses of lymphatic tissues present at the back of the throat, one on each side. They help protect the upper respiratory tract from infection, by fighting the germs entering through the mouth and nose. Therefore, they act as a part of the immune system. The tonsils can become inflamed, when these infection-fighting tissues are infected by bacteria or viruses. This infection is termed as tonsillitis. Tonsillitis caused by viruses can be contagious, and may spread through contact with the infected person, or even by inhaling the respiratory secretions that become air-borne when an infected person sneezes.
The symptoms vary according to the severity of the infection. So, an infected person can experience some or all the given symptoms.
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Bad breath
- Hoarseness or change in voice
- Cough and runny nose
- Fever and headache
- Swollen glands in the throat
- White or yellow patches on the tonsils
- Pain and sore throat
- Difficulty in breathing due to swollen tonsils
If you notice any of the aforementioned symptoms, you must immediately consult a doctor, because an early diagnosis is the first step for providing an effective treatment. In case of a viral infection, the symptoms might resolve on their own. As the immune system will fight against the infection by itself, drug therapy may not be required.
- After proper diagnosis, by taking a swab test, the doctor will decide on the medications. If the infection is due to bacteria, the treatment will mostly involve the use of antibiotics or injections.
- Antibiotics will mostly consist of penicillin or erythromycin administered in the form of injections or oral pills. Patients may require to take the oral medicines over a period of 10 – 15 days, even after the symptoms have resolved.
- Medicines like ibuprofen or acetaminophen can also be effective against fever and throat pain; however, they should be strictly taken under medical supervision.
- In case of patients with recurring tonsillitis that leads to severe breathing problems, the tonsils may need to be removed by surgery. Even after surgery, there are chances of recurrence of throat infections.
As tonsils play an important role in preventing germs from entering our body, surgery is considered only when all the other options have been exhausted.
The remedies involve the use of ingredients that are easily available at home. These products are effective in easing the symptoms, and also getting rid of the infection.
- Add a pinch of turmeric powder to a glass of hot boiled milk and drink it just before going to bed.
- Mix one teaspoon of salt in a glass of warm water and gargle with this solution.
- Include plenty of fluids in your diet. Lemonade, carrot juice, and beet juice are also beneficial to alleviate the symptoms.
- Prepare a warm infusion of fresh ginger juice with honey, and gargle with it to ease the throat pain.
- A natural herb called oregano has antiseptic properties that can be effective against the infection caused by bacteria.
Do follow a strict hygiene. Wash your hands frequently to avoid spreading of the virus. Include vegetable soups in your diet. Eating ice-pops and ice creams occasionally is also fine. Avoid spicy food and take proper rest. In most cases, the infection is not very serious and heals over a short period of time.
Disclaimer: This HealthHearty article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.