The piece is an in-depth study of the complications and risks an individual undergoes post a tummy tuck surgery. Learn what the ‘plastic’ world has in store for you …
“Beauty is skin deep.” … A bon mot that sinks into your thoughts effortlessly. This proverb had a metaphorical implication to it. With faces no more authentic and masks personifying beauty, it is no flabbergasting movement to learn that the proverb somersaulted, metamorphosing itself from a metaphorical to a literal beam. Beauty is, indeed skin deep! It is only when we scrape a little, scrub a little, and hide a little that we are coveted as the true divas. Well, that is irony at its best.
Plastic surgery has taken society by storm, producing a ‘scientific beauty’ in every nook and cranny. Natural is out, ‘art’-ificial is in! What could be more exciting to behold than beauty without imperfections. However, there is no harm in being the perfect beauty, if you aspire to be one and have your pockets hot and heavy! Tummy tucks are the perfect mantra to spell beautiful ab muscles; however, tummy tuck complications follow suit!
What Is a Tummy Tuck?
Tummy tuck, also known as abdominoplasty, abdominodermatolipectomy and abdominal sculpture, is a procedure that involves firming and toning the abdomen muscles. Abdominoplasty is a branch of cosmetic surgery that postulates the dismissal of excess fat from the middle and lower abdomen area, thereby tightening the abdominal muscles. Abdominal sculpting becomes a necessity for those who have undergone a major weight loss or their tissues have become loose post-pregnancy.
The tummy tuck procedure offers you certain benefits post surgery. A tummy tuck surgery can give you a flatter and firmer looking belly with smooth contours. Abdominoplasty tucks the sagging folds of the abdomen that could get infected with a fungal infection. The tummy tuck surgery can help patients to get rid of excess fat tissue. These fat tissue are stubborn pockets of overabundant flesh difficult to get rid of. A tummy tuck could be the last and the best resort for such a problem.
Complications Following a Tummy Tuck
When considering any liposuction procedure, one must keep in mind that all the beautification procedures are accompanied with risks and uncertainties. Procuring beauty carries with it, baggage of risks. These risks come for free, take it or leave it! However the consensus says they indeed take it! Nevertheless, it’s a matter of life and death, and you, by no means, can afford to take things lightly. You need to bother enough to know who is handling your case. A certified cosmetic surgeon, familiar and trained in the specified authority should perform the surgery.
- An individual who has gone through the surgical procedure might be at a risk of countering infections and blood clots. Although a very rare post operative repercussion, one could be affected by the same.
- The treatment for infections is available by following the antibiotic prescriptions released by the surgeon. This may prolong the hospitalization tenure.
- After the surgery, a tummy tuck complication that can occur is that of blood clots. These blood clots have the potential to shift quarters to the legs as there is no movement and may even migrate to the lungs. This can be prevented if the patient begins movement shortly after surgery.
- The abdominal skin and the skin around the area might be numb post surgery. The upper abdominal and the abdominal nerves on the sides are stretched during the surgery, causing temporary numbness of the area. There is a risk in this condition, as there might be cases where the sensation has not returned, although most of the time, the abdominal area regains sensation.
- Liposuction swelling of the abdominal area is a common effect after the tummy tuck. To prevent this condition, compression garments using bandages are worn for two to three weeks by the patient after surgery.
- The blood vessels that get affected or damaged during the procedure, causing red blood cells and the accompanying fluid to ooze out, where the hematomas and seromas can create complications under the surface of the skin. Drainage of the incision is a must during the procedure. Those who endure pigmentation problems and are considering abdominal liposuction should be informed about this tummy tuck complication.
- During any surgery, anesthesia is administered on the patient. Epinephrine is used as a local anesthesia for abdominoplasty. Administering this anesthesia can cause rapid heart rate in patients during and after surgery.
- Another stomach liposuction complication that can take place post surgery is pulmonary embolism. This tummy tuck complication occurs when fat cells enter the blood stream, block the lungs and gradually migrate to the brain. The patient will find difficulty in breathing and may need immediate medical aid and attention. This can be fatal and can be responsible for permanent disability.
These are some of the complications that the individual opting for the surgery could endure. Before taking a step further and going in for the surgery, consult a qualified practitioner and think if you thoroughly need abdominoplasty. Ask yourself … Are you comfortable and ready to endure the discomfort and the baggage of risks that follow suit? Be practical! It is very important to bear in mind that nothing is more precious than life, not even beauty. Don’t think of all the misery, but regard the beauty that still abounds you – an Anne Frank Ideology. Do you believe in it? Well, I do. …